Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Virus/malware has messed up computer privileges and such..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 omghelpme

omghelpme

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hi, I have recently got some sort of virus or malware from surfing a video streaming website (I think...).
since then:

- i havnt been able to run various programs, such as windows "disk cleanup". That seems to just disappear when i try to scan the C: drive but if I scan the E: drive it runs fine.

- Other programs, mainly anti virus software seem to just crash when scanning or fixing problems. Some work some don't. but the thing is, obviouslly none of them work otherwise i wouldnt still have this problem :thumbsup: .

- A few windows updates wont fully install, such as a security update and windows live update. (They successfully install but on reboot they appear ready for installation again???)

- svchost.exe could be a problem, many virus scanners have found it but never fixed. and svchost fix wizard found something wrong with "invalid data 2 at value start of the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS" and "system DLLs re-registration is pending". These were the erros it found but i cannot fix because it COSTS MONEY!

BAISICALLY! Nothing works, i would tell you everything I have done since this happened, but I couldnt possibly do that because i have done so much. I have been browsing these forums and alot of other forums for the answers, but I still have the same issues!!
But yeah I have tried alot of anti virus programs, AVG, kaspersky, malwarebytes etc... you name it i have probably tried it!
Although there are a few programs I have yet to use such as: combofix

a main error I get is when i install a program, use it, and then when i try to re-use it i get a similar message to: "cannot find file, path... inavlid privileges" (something like that anyway) and then the program would have to be reinstalled to try and use it again.

I'm not sure if this a virus or what???? Help please!!!

Oh and its that bad that i cant even use hijackthis, because every tiem i do it crashes then i cant open the program and get this error: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the apporpriate permissions to access the item." AND I AM AN ADMINISTRATOR as i am the only one on this computer!

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 omghelpme

omghelpme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

anyone please?

#3 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

Download Malwarebytes AntiMalware from www.download.com , update it then run a quick system scan please :thumbsup:

EDIT: Realised you said it wasn't working before SILLY me lol

Try this:

After installation, if MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan.exe.
Double-click on myscan.exe to launch the program.
If that did not work, then try renaming and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program

You can rename the extension to .exe .bat .scr or any other executable extension.

Edited by Skydie, 06 November 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#4 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

Post any error messages you encounter word for word during the installation.

#5 omghelpme

omghelpme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

when i try to scan with MBAM it crashes. then I cannot open the program
and when i try to rename it it gives me this error message "You need permission to perform this action"

this happens with alot of anti virus programs i download (programs even)...

#6 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

Tried safe mode?

#7 omghelpme

omghelpme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

same thing in safe mode :thumbsup:

#8 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

So which programs have you used then? It'll be helpful to know what the program has blocked usually viruses target the biggest names.

#9 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

Tried Super Antispyware free?

#10 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

O and by the way just a random tip :-

Whenever you suspect your computer has a virus never force it to Boot into Safe Mode. This causes an endless loop - which can be stopped but wastes time. I'm saying this now just incase you make the mistake (loads of people do and they find it annoyingly hard to stop the loop.

#11 omghelpme

omghelpme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

adware pro
advanced spyware remover
avast
avg
avira
bit defender
Eliminate it
kaspersky
malwarebytes
regcure
regace
registry booster
spy hunter
counter spy
super anti spyware
peervx (i think thats how its spelt)

there the ones i can remember, and probably a couple other free ones. I have also tried Jeevo removal tool but you have to pay to use that too.
I'm thinking maybe somethings wrong with he permissions or privileges on my computer, even though im an administrator.

Some of these anti virus programs are half uninstalled, and by that i mean the .exe file is still left in the program files folder and cannot be deleted (because of the same permissions error)?

#12 omghelpme

omghelpme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

if by that you mean clicking or holding the restart button to reboot into safe mode. i have done that a few times, only because i used to get the blue screen a few days ago.

#13 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

Forcing into safe mode is done through MS Config.

To be honest you've kinda got me puzzled on how you got into safe mode through holding the start button down. Try this:-

Beginners Guides Windows XP Safe Mode Explained - PCSTATS.com - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1643

PC Hell How to Start Windows in Safe Mode - http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315222

What is 'Safe Mode' Used For and Why - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm

Thank HamLuis for the links - not me.

#14 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

When I want to get into Safe Mode I press F8 while my computers loading. Try those links. After getting into Safe Mode that way (the way the links say) try running Super AntiSPywae free again and MBAM. I'm going to say this again though :

As we don't know if you've got a virus or not (you probably do) DON'T force Safe Mode (by using MS Config) even if the links say so.

Edited by Skydie, 06 November 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#15 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Also you won't be able to access the internet while in safe mode (so you can't update MBAM or SAS Free in safe mode).

Sorry if I sound annoying when im saying about not forcing Safe Mode - you might think I think your an idiot. But the thing is I just really don't want to to accidently get into the loop (because i'm no good at fixing that sort of thing) also other people may be watching this thread and I want to make sure anyone who's reading this doesn't mess up themselves.

Edited by Skydie, 06 November 2009 - 05:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users