Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS X 10.4 will not boot after upgrading from 10.4.9 to 10.4.11

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hi all

Got an annoying problem with my oldish Mac (Powermac G4 MDD Dual 1.25ghz cpus/2GB RAM/80GB HDD) in that it is now refusing to boot up after trying to install 10.4.11 combo update via software update, whilst installing it came up with an error message saying "the installer had been removed to the trash" or something like that so i restarted as it said to do. Now it gets stuck at the "Starting Mac OS X" screen with the blue bar and hangs there forever sometimes with a spinning wait cursor. Unfortunately no restore disks came with this Mac... :blink:

Cheers

Axe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

Try a Safe Boot and see what happens. Hope you had a backup before updating.
To start up in Safe mode restart the Mac and immediately hold down the shift key right after the start up sound. Keep holding until the Mac is at the login page. It'll take a while so be patient.
If the Safe boot doesn't work try running fsck -y.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

#3 Axegrinder

Axegrinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

Theres not much of value on it, I did fsck -fy and it said the volume was ok. I restarted it in verbose mode, after that it just hangs with a blue screen and cursor...:blink:

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

Did you try booting into Safe mode like I suggested?

#5 Axegrinder

Axegrinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

I have fixed the problem via reinstalling from an OS X DVD my mate lent me and now all is well :blink: Thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users