Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death, what's my best next step?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 insomnijack

insomnijack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hi,

my tosh laptop has been performing very slow the past month, and yesterday it blue screened and now it goes to blue screen even when i try safe mode etc. Is there anyway to recover anything on laptop? I have both a express media CD and a recovery cd that came with the laptop. Just like to know my best next move.

thanks

j

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

The best move would probably to secure any data data files deemed valuable...on some other media.

Provided you haven't been backing up the system.

What's the exact content of your BSOD message?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 insomnijack

insomnijack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for response,

i can't get onto the laptop so i don't see how i can get to any files. Luckily i have previously backed up pics/music and some docs. BSOD has stop code - stop 0x0000007E but no file info. It's a toshiba satellite pro.

thanks for any advice

Edited by insomnijack, 06 November 2009 - 03:08 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

OK, thanks :thumbsup:.

The next thing I would suggest...go to the Toshiba website and look up your system. Under support, take note of what options you might have and the way to employ them.

If nothing else, track down the instructions on the proper way to use the recovery CD you have on hand.

Your STOP error is a 7E, very unenlightening, it can be found at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm

"0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information."

That only leaves just about everything that could impact a system, including malware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users