Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alpha Anti Virus....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Needsomehelp!

Needsomehelp!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

We have a laptop that a friend gave us a year ago. It came with AVG anti-virus and SpySweeper already "loaded" on it (they are "up dated automatically" online). There have been NO problems until the other night when my spouse was online and unknowingly downloaded/clicked on Alpha Anti Virus. While my spouse works on a computer all day at work, they are not "internet savvy".....

I can not get it off the laptop. We do not have any of the original disks that came with the computer as far as programs go. It uses XP and is our "second" computer. The AVG and SpySweeper are NOT detecting the Alpha...and the Alpha is annoying the crap out of us now...I have not "activated" it, as it keeps requesting, but it can not be removed either, by using the control panel/software removal program. When I try to remove it in this manner, it tells me I must first activate the program to remove it. I am not willing to do that at this juncture! It just constantly has it's pop-ups popping up asking us to activate or run a sweep. For now I just keep clicking on "remind me later"....

I need some help....please!
Thank you so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Computer Pro

#3 Needsomehelp!

Needsomehelp!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hi ComputerPro,

Sorry for my delay in response...the weekend comes and so does "family time"! :thumbsup:

I did as you asked, here is my results:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2775
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/8/2009 8:49:24 PM
mbam-log-2009-11-08 (20-49-24).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 150568
Time elapsed: 42 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

So, what do I do now??
Thanks again....and it's still giving me the popups every 5-10 mins....ugh!
Needsomehelp!

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:52 PM

Please update your database version as yours is outdated. To do so, go the the 'update' tab in the program. Then rerun a Quick scan and post back the log.
Computer Pro

#5 Needsomehelp!

Needsomehelp!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:25 PM

It helps when I have the right "version" :thumbsup:

Here's the new log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3131
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/8/2009 10:15:50 PM
mbam-log-2009-11-08 (22-15-50).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 112358
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 0 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 11

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Program Files\AlphaAV\alpha.exe (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servises (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AlphaAV (Rogue.AlphaAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\alphaav (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\AlphaAV (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AlphaAV (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AlphaAVUninstall (Rogue.AlphaAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\AlphaAV\alpha.exe (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AlphaAV\Alpha Antivirus.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AlphaAV\Computer Scan.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AlphaAV\Help.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AlphaAV\Registration.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AlphaAV\Security Center.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AlphaAV\Settings.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AlphaAV\Update.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AlphaAVUninstall\Uninstall.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Desktop\Alpha Antivirus.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\AlphaAV.lnk (Rogue.AlphaAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

***Am I good to go now, or do I need to do anything else?****
Thanks again!
Needsomehelp!

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

Good, Malwarebytes got rid of the Alpha Antivirus.

Please run ATF and SAS:

Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.

Note 2: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware, Free Home Edition

Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.
Computer Pro

#7 Needsomehelp!

Needsomehelp!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

Good Morning!
I was able to download the ATF and SUPERAntiSpyware(free), however, I am unable to get the computer to open in SAFE MODE...I get to the screen, however, when I select SAFE MODE, a log of different stuff scrolls through, then a screen appears that tells me it is UNABLE to open in SAFE MODE due to possible software or hardware changes.

It gives me these options:
1)enter through Last Know Good Configuration, ,
2)SAFE MODE with Networking
3)SAFEMODE with Command Prompt
4)SAFE MODE

or open normally
Thanks

#8 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

Please just go ahead and run the scan in Normal Mode.
Computer Pro

#9 Needsomehelp!

Needsomehelp!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

Thanks, I ran them both, here is the log from SAS:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com