Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best anti-malware that doesn't conflict with PCguard (total)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bn2

bn2

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:14 AM

dear all

I had a recent bad malware infection (security tool and backdoor.bot and ...) and an IT guy reinstalled windows for me (long saga)

now I'm happy
the IT guy also installed avg
I have perhaps unwisely installed pc guard total and therefore needed to uninstall avg cos of conflict.

but this IT guy is an expert - was I wise ? maybe avg is better

or - real question - which is the best anti malware that doesn't conflict with pc guard and would best accompany it ??
avast or .... ????
I wil get malwarebytes if I can but does that give real time protection or just a good scan ???

sorry loads of questions and history all in one post

many thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

I would probably have kept AVG for antivirus as it is well respected and free.

If you want real time anti-malware protection you can buy malwarebytes pro for about 12 one time fee.

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hello bn2,

I never really came across PC guard before so cannot offer any opinion, but I do see it uses scanning engines from Kaspersky, which can only be good. As it is a full security suite it would not be advisable to run another real-time AV as well.

#4 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

Hello bn2,

I never really came across PC guard before so cannot offer any opinion, but I do see it uses scanning engines from Kaspersky, which can only be good. As it is a full security suite it would not be advisable to run another real-time AV as well.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that if it uses the same Engine as Kaspersky that it's just as good. If the rules and defentions are not complete or up-to-date, well, the Engine wouldn't be as good,right? :-)

Honestly, I downloaded MSE (Mircosoft Security Essentials ) which seems to do the job. Here is the thing, whatever AV program you use, will pretty much be the same. Once new infection is out, in about 5 days, most of the major devlopers have a fix or/and rules to clean it out.

AVG is a pretty good AV tool but I find it has too large of a footprint, but as I never ran PC guard, I'm not sure how resorce hungry it is. I say if you already paid for PC Gaurd, Uninstal AVG and put in PC Gaurd. Once removing AVG, also remembre to use ether A)Revouninstall or B)AVG removal tool. Just to make sure nothing lingers form the pervious install

Hope this helps.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

I believe PC Guard is provided through their ISP
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users