Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Drive Rips and Reads Some CDs, Refuses to for Others

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cowtipper

Cowtipper

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:22 AM

I've been having this problem for a while. My CD Drive plays and rips some CDs just fine, but with some others it refuses to play or rip them. They are not scratched and are in good condition. I have various degrees of difficulty with it: sometimes, it "revs up" but then doesn't even recognize or play the CD, sometimes it recognizes the CD but when I go to play a song or rip it, it freezes up everything. Also, it no longer reads CD-Rs or CD-RWs. My OS is Vista if that helps. Any ideas? I've tried a bunch of things. I've tried the Microsoft Fix-It, which worked once but no longer works. I've reinstalled drivers and updates, among some other stuff that evades me right now. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dave09

dave09

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

Make sure all connecting cables are firmly in place, if they are and it still happens then try a different cable, If it's still happening then it might just be that the drive is coming to the end of it's life, You could even try a different drive in the machine if you've got one or can borrow one. If the different drive works then you know your old one is knackered.

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

could be on its way out (knackered - good word dave). could be dirt on laser, clean with isopropyl alcohol. last ditch effort would be update firmware for drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users