Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot from cd stuck at "hit any key"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quay95

quay95

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:33 AM

I trying to boot from new OEM XP pro cd to repair or reinstall windows XPpro on my dell optiplex gx270 when. I insert the cd it gets to "to boot from cd hit any key" when I hit a key nothing happens. I've let it sit up to an hour thinking it might be slow but nothing happens. it will boot from the hard drive. In the event log it says "post error" "keyboard error" every time it boots from hard drive or tries to from the cd rom. the keyboard works otherwise

The problem started when I turned on auto updates and a bunch of wild updates where installed likes SP 1 ( SP3 is already installed) doc watson, a bunch of hot fixes .. Windows will load, but its acting like it has a virus.. I can't uninstall any of them.. access the Internet,open programs or run anti virus..even in safe mode...I called microsoft to verify I have a legal version of windows... and it is... they told me to load recovery console but I'm not having much luck

Thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:24 AM

Try changing the boot order in the BIOS so the CD is the ONLY boot device, and see if that stops the question being asked.
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#3 jsmart7

jsmart7

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:35 AM

Take all the backup possible. Then go to safe mode, and if not possible, stay in normal mode. then right click on each drive's icon on My Computer, and select format. Do a normal formatting of all the drives one by one, starting with the C drive. When it is done, try installing a fresh copy of the OS.

#4 quay95

quay95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

Thanks, I did make cd the only boot device, I started to reformat but don't want to erase the hard drive unless its a last resort Do you think I should try to load from the start menu
in safe mode?

Edited by quay95, 06 November 2009 - 11:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users