Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dr. Watson Post Mortum Debugging Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bub12

Bub12

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

Hi All,

So, here's the situation...

After the Dr. Watson Post Mortum Debugging Error I ran MBAM & Avast & am clean. I then rebooted. I scan my system at least once daily for infections. Also use, Spywareblaster & AdAware. No errors thus far.

I believe the error had to do with printer drivers...but that's just a guess. Yesterday, my wife tried printing some text from a site & she later told me that it wouldn't print. Later that day I tried printing & received the spooler error saying that the printer wasn't installed. I have seen this occur before on a couple of occasions when trying to print text from a site causes a spooler error with the printer. The site that my wife was visiting was a Blogger food blog. Nothing malicious from what I know. Anyway, removed & reinstalled the printer with the disc, while unplugging to reset & all was well again. Also, when the printer was back online, the pages that my wife was trying to print, printed. So, I figured the spooler error I received resulted from the time my wife tried to print those pages that wouldn't print.

Then today, after using the computer all day off & on, I was writing an email in OE & I received the Dr Watson error. I don't believe a browser was open or any other program at that time. I located one .dmp file from last night, around the time I was deleting & reloading my printer drivers. I cannot open the file without some debugging software or something else that can read the file.

So, any opinions on this matter? Perhaps I should do nothing & see what happens. Maybe I should delete & install the printer again. Has anyone seen, as I have, such a situation where a certain website causes spooler issues? Look, I certainly do not wish to perform unnecessary work but I do want to be sure my machine is ok. Oh yea, I am using a 3.5 year old computer with XP Home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: I just ran another Avast scan but this time a full scan & found something strange. I have attached a screenshot. I moved the file that could not be scanned to the vault & received a message that the file was ok. I will now begin my research on said file.

Attached Files

Edited by Bub12, 06 November 2009 - 12:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:01 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Since you have .dmp file...you might try following the steps laid out at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Yea, I found that post prior to my post as linked by you on another occasion. Thank you. I was hoping not to have to go through all of that. Thought maybe someone would have a pretty good idea of the what & why of my situation. We'll see...

It may have also been you who said in another thread that in many cases a reboot will solve the problem providing there is no malware & I do believe I am clean. So far I have yet to experience the problem again....we'll see...

Thanks again

#4 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:47 AM

Well, it's has been a couple of days....any other thoughts out there in forum land?

#5 jsmart7

jsmart7

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

Your machine has some malware in it , as I feel very much after reading the entire post. Better you reinstall the OS by formatting just the C drive.

#6 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

jsmart7,

Really? And you determined that how exactly? Please be specific as my many scans from many av & as programs must have missed whatever it is to which you are referring. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users