Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP and Vista networking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 uberdude007

uberdude007

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

I have two computers on a network, one hardwired and one wireless.
My router is the Linksys WRT54G, Version 8.2
The hardwired computer is an unmodified Acer Aspire M5100 running Windows Vista Home Premium.
The wireless computer has a Linksys WMP54GS wireless adapter in it running Windows XP Home Edition.
My problem is this:
I have checked into every setting I can think of that would affect this.
They are both set to dynamically receive IP configuration via DHCP. All the addressing is handled by the router. I've tried everything I can think of, and I still can't get this network to work. Both computers can access the internet, but they refuse to access each other. They act like they can't see each other there. It's a rather quick way to annoy me.

So please, friends, help me!

tl/dr; My network is screwed, I need help...read the danged post for more info.
The searchbar is your friend...
also, try
Google

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

Try enabling the NetBIOS protocol on each.

http://www2.smcvt.edu/itweb/VPN/netbios.htm

http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/netbt.htm

Louis

#3 Sonix McClaine

Sonix McClaine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for that but I am still not getting the setting done with my vista and office's XP pc.
Please help, what can i do more.
and please tell me for file transfer can i use a parallel USB wire.????

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

Not sure what a parallel USB wire is...both are types of connections, but they are different.

Parallel port connections are pretty much in the past but they still work. Those were common with Win 9x systems, while USB connections are common with newer external peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.).

The Help menus for XP provide info on the various types of connections that allow file exchange between systems.

You might consider posting your networking issue at the BC Networking forum, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/.

If you like, I can ask a staff member to move this thread to that forum...or you can just start a new post there. Whichever.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users