Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway m405 black monitor on power up

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tarheeledbravesfan

tarheeledbravesfan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

I have a motherboard/ USB/ monitor issue with my gateway m405. The OS installed was XP PRO.

The laptop was plugged into a laptop cooler that had 3 fans and several USB ports on it. It died a horrible death, smoke and everything. Unfortunately, it was plugged into my gateway m405 at the time. My laptop croaked too. No power, no nothing. I unplugged the cmos battery for a few seconds,plugged it back in and we were good, except, the USB ports were shot. So, since the USB's are on the board I got a new motherboard and changed it. Now I get a black screen. It powers up and the CD drive spins and all the lights come on and the USB ports work as far as I can tell, I plugged a external CD drive into the USB and it started spinning. I guess I could put the old board back in but then no USB's.

I also plugged the gateway's hard drive into my other computer to check it and it says there's nothing on it now. Hmm. I should also say that I have a IBM Thinkpad A20m that normally sat on that cooler that has now started doing the same thing, black screen but the CD drive and all lights come on. It wasn't plugged into the cooler when it went south but developed the same issue the next day. Both hard drives say there is nothing on them and both start up fans and all but all I get is a black screen.

I did plug another monitor into the gateway and nothing. I think I covered everything.
I would be most thankful for any advice.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users