Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Pro to Win 7 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SunKing

SunKing

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

OK I am rebuilding my desktop with updated hardware (mobo, cpu, ram, hdd). I currently run Win XP Pro, and am scared to death about loosing my files, settings, email etc..

How in the heck do I preserve all my files, emails ect. I assume a back up program, but which? For example I do not use IE, I use Fire Fox and want all those book marks and add-ons.

Anyone done this care to step me through it, or at least highlights or bullet points?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:42 AM

Hey there,

Depending on what files and/or settings you want to keep, it would depend on how to go foward and backing up your files. Some programs have a back-up feuture built-in so you don't have to do the dirty work in finding the folder deep within your system

For example, for Firefox, you would go Bookmarks, Orginize Bookmarks, then use the Impore or Export bookmarks feature and simply back your Bookmarks.

You might also want to consider if you are replacing the HD that you can always use the second drive as a slave and format it AFTER you have removed what you need. When installing Windows 7, this will only format your MAIN HD (Well, as long as you tell it to). If your really that worried, you can always pull out slave drive intill after the Windows 7 is installed.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.

#3 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

A starting point could be the User state migration toolkit (USMT), but this can be a bit laborious.

Take a backup of your whole user profile simply by copying to some other device (external USB key, hard drive, or burn to CD/DVD media)

Specifically for Firefox, all the settings, saved password, favourites etc are stored in the firefox profile folder inside your user profile.
Copy this back in to your new user profile after your re-install before installing Firefox and it will just pick these up. (actually you can copy it in after installing FF, but before is easier. Personally I find this easier than using export/import)

As for emails, what email program are you using?
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#4 SunKing

SunKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:32 AM

As for emails, what email program are you using?

I use Outlook.

#5 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

To back up outlook : http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/B...utlook_Data.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users