Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Powerline vs Wireless Connectivity Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MarcosR

MarcosR

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

Ok, here's the deal. I have a security system wired into a large home, and I'm having problems accessing it.

It's a little complicated.

Very large house that has a mix of wireless and a powerline network for the basement.

The wireless is D-link, the powerline adapters are linkysys.

I have two computers on the powerline adapaters plus the Q-See security system. The powerline computers can access the security system just fine. When you ping them, they get back in < 10ms.

When I get on the laptop computer, I can ping one of the free standing computers just fine, and it works correctly. It comes back <30ms.

Here's the kicker, when I ping the Q-see security system from the wireless network, half of the pings time out. When I ping the security system from any of the powerline connected computers it always works.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss. Have tried a different wireless router to no effect.

So to recap.

Ping Results:
Powerline PC to Powerline PC OK
Powerline PC to Powerline Security System OK
Powerline PC to Wireless PC OK
Wireless PC to Wireless PC OK
Wireless PC to Powerline PC OK
Wireless PC to Powerline Security System FAILS

I would normally say it's a problem with the security system. However, the powerline computers connect flawlessly.

So........ Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarcosR

MarcosR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

Did some more testing.

Laptop 1 Wireless to Security System FAIL
Laptop 1 Plugged into Powerline to Security System PASS
Laptop 1 Plugged into router directly FAIL

I have two routers, both come with the same problem. It seems like it's a router problem. If I have to hit the router to get to the box it's a problem. But, powerline to powerline it directly routes along the powerline and doesn't have an issue. I'm at a loss.

Ports are forwarded in the firewall and no issue.

Same computer only works when directly plugged into powerline adapter.

Pulling hair out, hopefully someone has some ideas.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

you have 2 routers?

what are the IP addresses of all the equipment?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users