Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will an RJ45 Splitter work for my purpose?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

Scenario;

I have (1) Ethernet cable into the living room. I need to connect that single cable to a HTPC & also an Xbox 360. Will will only be using one device at a time. I see there are those RJ45 splitters available, some for around a couple bucks on ebay.

Will one of the splitters work for what I want to do? I keep reading conflicting stories on the web. Thought I would ask the experts here! i know I can make up a cable w/ wall jacks & all that, but I want to take the easy way out at this time; maybe a more permanent installation later.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

I haven't seen these used for a while now, I guess everyone jumps on the wireless bandwagon when they run out of copper links.

Last time I looked, you need a splitter at both ends, effectively they are just taking four wires out of the 8 in the CAT5 cable and each using these independently.
You need a matching unit at the other end, otherwise one connection has nowhere to go as it will be coming out on unused pins.
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

The short answer is yes the splitter would work if you buy or make special cables.

OR

You could just buy this. You plug the wire coming in from the other room into one of the ports and plug 2 wires into other ports and plug the other ends into the devices.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of using a switch like the one in the link, but I am running out of outlets! With several game units plugged in, DVD player, pc, monitor & other items it doesn't take long. But in the long run, I suppose the switch would be my best bet, since I want this to be a hassle free setup, no special cables, etc.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

power strip = your friend lol

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users