Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

Hi All, :huh:

I have an older Dell Dimension 5150 desktop that is no longer manufactured and thus, their drivers no longer appear to be updated regularly. Their website only has drivers for XP & Vista and even the hardware manufacturers site may not have W7 drivers for my device.

Will the Vista drivers work with Windows 7? Or, will the Windows 7 DVD have support for my hardware such that it is fully functional?

Currently, here's my System configuration:

Intel 945G chipset
Intel Pentium D Dual-Core Processor, 2.8 GHz
ATI Radeon X1600 video card (Retail copy)
Sigmatel Audio Codec embedded on the MB
Intel Pro 100 VE Network Connection
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, fully patched

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

Yes. You can run devices and software in Vista and XP compatibility mode.

#3 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

Vista drivers should always work on Windows 7 as well, theory is that they are identical.
I'm using a Vista driver for my NVidia graphics card, for example as no "approved" Windows 7 driver exists.

In general you might be pleasantly surprised by how many drivers are included in 7 straight out of the box
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users