Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Disc to Command Prompt to Format and Erase Infected Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Snooch

Snooch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

Is there a way to boot up from a floppy drive, a bootup disk to erase the Hard Drive?

So I can Clean Install XP.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Well...how do you plan to install XP...from recovery disks, from MS XP CD, from recovery partition, etc.? How do you plan to accomplish the install?

Deleting the preexisting partition or formatting same...should be a part of the clean install option provided by most means of installing XP.

Essentially, there's no need to "erase" the hard drive by other means.

Louis

#3 Snooch

Snooch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

I have an infected XP C drive and I suspect optical drive, preventing from using MS XP Bootable CD.

I plan on using a floppy disk to get to the command prompt and Format the C drive partition so I can then be able to install XP.

What do you recommend?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

Well, AFAIK...an optical drive cannot become infected. It's simply a reading device, as opposed to a storage device (e.g., flash drive and hard drive) and there's no place for an infector or infected file to hang out.

If you have a MS Genuine XP CD, then that should boot and allow you to delete the existing partition on your hard drive...and then create a new partition/install XP on the unallocated space which remains after you delete the existing XP partition.

<<...preventing from using MS XP Bootable CD.>>

Have you tried using this CD you have...to delete the existing partition? If so, then give us the details of what happened, including the exact wording of any error message you may have received.

For the record...system manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#5 Snooch

Snooch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

When I tried to boot up with the MS XP installation Cd, it said there is no bootable device and to press F1 to retry or F2 to go into setup.

I wanted to Clean install with the MS XP CD, however the CDROM would not boot up.

Do you know why?

Thanks Louis

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hmmm...did you change the boot prefererences in the BIOS (Setup)...before attempting to boot from the XP CD?

That seems to be the normal reasons users get that message.

Take a look at one example of how to do this, http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom.

Louis

#7 Snooch

Snooch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

Louis,

Yeah, that is the strange part. It is first and only on the BIOS boot sequence. Yet, for some reason, it won't start up the bootable CD XP installation disk.

I think one reason is because, I disabled the CDR Drive on the Hardware Tab from System Control Panel before my computer got infected with the Antivirus Pro 2010 virus. And I was unable to ENABLE it after because the virus wouldn't let me change anything since it took over my Administrator Rights.

What do you think?

Is this why it is not loading up the CD-Rom.

Thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:47 PM

I think I'd take a look in Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit either Enter or OK)...and see if it is reflected as being disabled. If so, I would try to change it.

If it's disabled, I would not expect it to be capable of functioning as it normally would.

Louis

#9 Snooch

Snooch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

I am trying to use floppy disks to FDISK the NTFS partition to erase it, so then, I can install XP with 6 setup disks since I can't use the Optical Drive.

Will booting up with Floppy Disks allow me to erase the Hard Drive with it's setup and reset it back to manafacturer's specs?

Thanks Louis

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

goto

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

look for:

MS Windows XP System setup disk
That seems to do what you're asking for.

There are some other tools on the page that I have used, but I have not used this particular one. I downloaded a copy of the exe and scanned it and it appears clean.

umm once you boot up with the floppy you should be able to see the cd and use it normally at its default driveletter.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 05 November 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

Last time I used floppies...FDISK did not work on NTFS partitions, I think.

Now that I've bothered to look it up...it seems that I had it partially right, but not enough to be useful to anyone:

"Furthermore, FDISK can work with NTFS partitions but it cannot delete NTFS partitions that are logical drives on extended partitions", http://kadaitcha.cx/ntfs.html

So it seems that you can use fdisk command via floppy to delete the partition.

To install XP...you are going to need more than 6 floppy disks. Those XP install files take up a lot more room that 6 floppies. Those 6 floppies are only the equivalent of an XP boot disk...you still need access to the files on the CD if your plan is to install XP.

Take a read at http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html and note the prominent mention of "XP CD".

Louis

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Snooch, are you even getting a prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD......"

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

He previously stated...that he has disabled the optical drive in XP.

Louis

I'm not sure if that has any impact or not, I've never thought about disabling an optical drive.

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2009 - 03:24 PM.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

He previously stated...that he has disabled the optical drive in XP.

Louis

Do`t think disabling it in Windows stops\disables it in the BIOS. If the drive works and the boot media is readable then the previous install of Windows and disabling of the drive with in Windows should not have any affect while the BIOS is basically running the machine.

#15 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

If it is detected as atapi cd rom in bios then there is basically no way to stop it from booting unless it is moved far down the boot order chain or the bios is capable of actually excluding it from the boot order.

If the OP were to provide a bit more detail as to what kind of system this is aimed at, we could all aim our guesses a bit more accurately.
I have an example of just about every bios used in the last 10 years stacked around here somewhere...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users