Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox virus of some sort...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 soalivetoday

soalivetoday

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hello...used this site before when I had a Vundo issue a few years ago and the moderators were EXTREMELY helpful. I have a new problem and am hoping for some help again. Much thanks.

I run Windows XP and use Firefox as my browser. I generally run free Ad/Malware programs fairly regularly, such as Malware Bytes and AVG Antispyware.

Over the weekend, I noticed Firefox running VERY sluggishly. I restarted the computer a few times and no luck. It slowed down to the point of bogging down the entire system. I also noticed when I forced a close on it, it will not restore my previous tabs or sites.

I ran all the various programs I mentioned above and removed some items, but it is continuing to have problems. The weird thing is it is not constant. It will bog down for a while and then start working normally again. Internet Explorer works fine, as does Outlook and any other programs I use.

I'm fairly certain I am infected with something, but not sure what, and the programs I have on here are obviously not picking it up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

Slowness and performance issues as you describe are not uncommon. If you're not finding any malware, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness and poor performance besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons (toolbars), failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

Some of the below tips are included in the above thread but since you mention FireFox specifically, here is my complete list:

Optimizing FireFox:Note: Firefox will generally take longer than IE to start simply because it has more data to load. Also, due to the way Firefox caches pages it will use more RAM the longer the browser is open. Closing and restarting more often will clear that out and should lower your resource usage dramatically.

Tweaks to make Firefox load faster:Tweaks to make Firefox render pages quickly:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 soalivetoday

soalivetoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:24 AM

Looks to have been the download history was bogging it down...will post if otherwise.

Thanks for the help as always.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

You're welcome.

#5 soalivetoday

soalivetoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

Well, I actually spoke too soon. The speed of Firefox has improved dramatically from clearing the download and browsing history, but the same issues I am having still occur.

Firefox will be fine after I open it, but usually after a short period will bog down dramatically. If I let it sit, it usually clears but it takes some time. If I force a close on it, it is not able to restore my session, so I have to start a new page. It seems to occur the most in the same settings...for instance, while typing a message to someone in Facebook, or in any kind of page where updates occur by auto refreshing.

These issues are only inherent to Firefox...I don't have them if I use Explorer or any other programs.

Any ideas? Thanks.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

Although I use FireFox, I am not an expert in its optimization and tweaking. If you continue to have issues with FireFox start a new topic in our Internet/Browser forum, search the FireFox Knowledge Base or contact FireFox Support where you can ask a question.

Edited by quietman7, 23 November 2009 - 10:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users