Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenDNS says I have 2 ip addresses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

OpenDNS dynamic update client says I have 2 IP addresses. On its help page it says, you may be behind a proxy or ur ip changed recently. None of which is true.

Posted Image

Has anyone else seen anything like this ? Should I worry about it?

EDIT:
This problem is seen only when on my WIndows XP system : Agnitum Outpost Firewall 4.0, avast! antivirus, Windows XP 32bit SP3
This problem disappears when I shut down Outpost firewall.
This problem is not seen on my two other systems with Windows Vista (windows firewall + Nod32 antivirus) and Windows 7

I think it is related with Outpost Firewall.

Edited by Romeo29, 05 November 2009 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dallas7

dallas7

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

Yes, I had the same problem. The program is in error and OpenDNS doesn't care. In trying to be everything to everyone all the time, their services have become bloated and lazy. Sad, because it used to be so, so good.

May I suggest DNS Advantage:
http://www.dnsadvantage.com/

or DynDNS Internet Guide:
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dynguide/

Good luck.
"Machines making machines... How perverse!" -C3PO
Win7-HP-SP1-64; Online Armor ++; Zemana; Malwarebytes Pro.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the information :thumbsup: Finally somebody answered

In my case Outpost firewall was blocking OpenDNSs to find out if I sent the DNS request. I took care of it.

I do not think DNSAdavantage gives any option to block sites like malware, phishing,... etc

#4 dallas7

dallas7

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

Correct on the DNS Advantage; it's very simple right now - just plain ol' servers.

Interesting on your fix re the firewall. When I was initially troubleshooting that issue on my machines there was nothing weird in my logs.

What did you have to end up doing? Create an inbound rule?

Either way, DynDNS offers a similar feature set to OpenDNS and is faster, as is DNS Advantage with which I am satisfied. Have you used http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm ? That convinced me to dump OpenDNS. Your mileage may vary of course. That GRC app is clean and hasn't fubar'd any systems I've ever run it on. And my friends and family have some pretty nasty systems...

I'm not too concerned about the loss of OpenDNS's anti-bad stuff filtering as they use the same database as the one built into Firefox. In fact, you can add to the mix Panda's db by running WOT, Barracuda's via DynDNS and Finjan's via their Secure Browsing. The latter also offers a behavioral scan of a Web site as it renders; at least that's how I understand it.

You probably know all of this already, but in case not, that's my 1.05 sense for you and other users.

Cheers!

Edited by dallas7, 11 November 2009 - 07:29 PM.

"Machines making machines... How perverse!" -C3PO
Win7-HP-SP1-64; Online Armor ++; Zemana; Malwarebytes Pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users