Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IaOra (Hello) From The Sacred Isle

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 maheanuuu

maheanuuu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

Good Evening to all, I am just checking in and thought that I had better introduce myself and give you an idea of the perils of computing in a "brand new" networked nation

Posted Image

I am a retired Navy Chief who immigrated to the islands in the mid 70s after retiring from the USN and also having worked for Sperry Univac as a Field Engineer in Computer Systems for the United States Navy. When I moved to the Island of Raiatea, there were only about 12 cars on the island, and the electricity was only being generated for the town and airport and there were only 12 telephones on the island and the only way you could talk to the other islands was by radio from the Post Office. Cars for the most part were few and far between with most of them owned by Government workers and the government itself. There were some trucks that both served as haulage for freight and passengers (Le Truck).
Most of the island transportation was either by Navette or by Outrigger Canoe, almost every house bordering on the lagoon had a pier for loading copra for delivery in the town (Uturoa), or the reception of foods and other goods from the stores in town. Boats were and still are a major means of transportation.

I brought to Raiatea 3 Timex Sinclair "Door Stops" and these were the first personal computers in the outer islands. No one had ever seen a computer out here and the only ones at that time were Government owned and Operated by the French Atomic Energy Commission. Needless to say, as an American immigrant, I surely wasn't going to be getting a job there in the interim.

It wasn't until the mid 90's that computers became accepted by the government and local populations and that happened slowly with fit's and starts and the businesses with the new tax system and inventory management were required to buy and maintain computers. I had been using computers for my business here for years as I had set up data bases for equipment maintainance and parts for the various stores and resturants on this island and throughout the Isles Sous Le Vent (the Leeward Islands).

I have plenty of stories, and no doubt one of these days on down the line they will start coming to the fore, but for now I want to stop in as a very new guy and say howzit to all of you....

I am working on a problem also, but that will be in a different forum laters on as I get my ducks in a row. but first thank you all for allowing me this soapbox, and thanks in advance for providing help to this old chief, yes, even us older than dirt people still need help and encouragement.

Maruru Roa

Maheanuu Tane
CPO USN Ret.
Citizen of Raiatea

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:54 AM

Hello, Maheanuu.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.
If you have any questions about how to use this site, this forum will probably answer them.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users