Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant go directly to windows.. just blue screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gneb

gneb

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

My problem started with my laptop Dell Inspiron 1200 when i think because of virus, it kept on restarting, giving me only a minute and then restarts. It doesnt do that however when im on safemode. Unfortunately, when i tried repairing windows using a Dell Xp cd, it didnt completed its repair and restarted. The next time i tried going to the repair option, it's not available anymore. It only gives me an option of either formatting windows (which i dont want to do because of my precious files) or repair windows using a recovery console that i dont know how to use... I dont know what to do anymore. If i dont do anything and just let the computer starts, it doesnt go to the log-in screen. It will only shows windows xp and trying to go to log in screen but instead shows "setup is being started...." but then after 10 seconds or so, it turns black then blue screen shows saying "a problem has been detected and windows has veen shut down to prevent damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advance startup options, and then select safe mode. blah... blah... blah" Everything stop from there... If i restart and use safe mode, it says "Windows XP setup cannot run under safemode. setup will restart now." And that's it... Guys please help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

<<Unfortunately, when i tried repairing windows using a Dell Xp cd, it didnt completed its repair and restarted.>>

From what I see, Inspiron 1200s don't have repair options mentioned, other than a reinstall of the O/S.

Take a look at http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/1789...cs=19&s=dhs.

The IRQL error is common and arises from many things, see 0A on left side at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

Let's go back to the beginning...did you receive any error messages when it was rebooting, before you attempted your repair effort?

To me, it appears that you have set a reinstall of the O/S in motion and I'm not sure how to negate that.

Louis

#3 windowstech

windowstech

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Try using System Restore. Pick a restore point before you had this problem.
Windows Tech
MCSE

#4 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

man! system restore didnt work and so the ctrl+F11 that the other forum was saying... im at support.dell.com right now and tried another option in there. the chkdsk /r. still waiting for it to finish though....

#5 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

chkdsk is finished already and said that it repaired some stuff. however when i restarted the computer, same thing still happens... im thinking the best way to fix my laptop is to just format it but i need to get my files first. is there a way to do that??

#6 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:05 AM

Depending on your system, there are quite a few ones.

A - You could download a Live CD of Linux which will allow you to boot up and retrive your files as a Live CD does not install on your HD and boots stright off.

B - You can get a "toaster" (Not the kind that you make toast in :-P) and use that to take out the HD and connect it onto another computer. Toasters or HD encolusers are normally anyware for 30-75 bucks depending where you get 'em.

Honestly, I'd download a Live CD of any linux, use a thumb stick or/and network abilty to transfer my files over.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.

#7 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:29 AM

sad to say but im broke :thumbsup: anyways, where can i get that live cd? do i have to burn it to a cd to be able to use it?

#8 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

For a Live CD, yes, you have to boot up right form the CD/DVD. If your computer can boot right from USB, you might wanna try that but I recommand going the Live CD way.

To burn a Live CD, you have to be able to burn it from an ISO or another CD/DVD format. If you don't have software like that, I'd recommand going to Snapfiles.com, going under freeware and look under the burning tools. You should find something there. :-)

I've included an URL to a bootable AV CD that should be able to help you recover your Windows if it is indeed infected. Worse comes to worse, I could try and help you though the whole process. If you need to, PM me and I will send you my contact information such as my MSN/Gmail/AIM or e-mail.

Hope that helps,
Cheers.

Linux DVD Disto AV: http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid...amp;front_id=12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users