Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with dell laptop and windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlackPStone

BlackPStone

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

I have been asked to repair a dell inspiron 1420 laptop for my child. the problem is the laptop has no operting sytem or driver load at all. can any help with this I need to load my Windows 7 operating system and that appears to be working fine but i am not stuck at no device drivers were found. so i tried to used my pc to download some drivers but i am not sure of the order and i dont know how to download the drivers on my pc and apply them to my laptop since laptop has no OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:24 PM

Forgive me but your post isn't making much sense. You're trying to get the Windows 7 drivers for the Dell laptop, but you can't because it has no OS. That makes no sense. If you have loaded Windows 7 on the laptop, you should be able to get online and find the necessary device drivers, as long as the native Windows driver for the laptop's network card allow you to get online. If not, you should try to download those network card drivers from a different PC or laptop and put them either on a disk or USB flash drive and load them onto the Dell laptop from there. You just need to get either the model number or the service tag number from the laptop and go to support.dell.com and you should be able to find all that you need from there, as long as Dell provides driver support for that model of laptop with Windows 7. If I am way off and this information is not what you need, please let us know and clarify what it is that you need.

Thanks,
Eric
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 BlackPStone

BlackPStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

Not off but just not seeing my problems. I need away to get the drivers on the actual laptop. it has nothing no os no drivers no nothing and as you will find out getting drivers from dell to move to another computer is almost impossible. so when i try to install windows 7 it gets to a point where it says i need some device driver and none are to be found nowhere

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

The Dell site for the Drivers & Downloads for the Inspiron 1420 does not offer Win7 drivers.

You may want to read here.

#5 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

I've always found getting drivers from Dell and downloading them as self-extracting files to be pretty straightforward, only issue has ever been working out which bit of hardware is in the system in the first place.
Any idea which drivers it is choking on?
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#6 BlackPStone

BlackPStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

problem solved my dumb a#$ trying load a 32 bit O/S on a 64 bit system

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

A 32 bit OS should load on a 64 bit system. Just not the other way around.

#8 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

If your hardware won't support a Windows 7 install you may run into a lot of problems. Did you use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Tool to determine where you stand for the upgrade? I realize that it might be too late for you to do so now, seeing as you say it has no OS on it at this point. You may want to reinstall XP or Vista to get yourself back to the drawing board first before you go forward, hopefully allowing you to see what your compatibility issues are and what drivers you'll need. You can get the tool here: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#9 BlackPStone

BlackPStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

i have fixed it since but thunderz makes a good point it should have worked but the 32 bit one always said it did not have the drivers so i think i needed the 64 it drivers idk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users