Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

normaliz.dll help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 angeldust

angeldust

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:39 PM

hi, i'm new to the forum. i have a fairly new computer and i was having problems with malware and viruses that i thought had cleared up. i had gotten help in 2 other forums with no such luck. yesterday i was able to run all my anitvirus, malware, spyware scanners. nothing showed up except on 1, which was my antivirus, i deleted the trojan, and ran more scans in safe and normal mode. everything came out ok, but i knew i still had an infection that combofix couldn't get rid of. i had just updated my computer recently with windows service pack 3 and just before i turned off my computer last night i installed the latest updates. i got home from school, turned on my computer and nothing loaded and i got this message: Explorer.EXE, unable to locate component. this application has failed to start because Normaliz.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem. i tried in safe mode and nothing loaded except the same message. i'm not sure if the infection i couldn't get rid of caused this, or the updates i downloaded last night. i'm using my brothers laptop at the moment. i really hope someone can help. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Take a look at what Tim Fisher has to say, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssing-error.htm.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

I deleted normaliz.dll and got the same error and no desktop, etc, since explorer.exe is not running either (and will not start without normaliz.dll)

It should be in the c:\windows\system32 folder and is not a Windows Protected File so don't waste your time (unless you want to) with a sfc /scannow if that comes up later. It will not fix this.

I believe it is somehow connected to Internet Explorer installation since it is part of the IE7 uninstall process on my system. If you did a bunch of updates, you may have also gotten IE8 (I am still using IE7) so maybe something went wrong there.

When you see the error, you can click past it and eventually get to your desktop background image where you can press CTRL-ALT-DEL to launch Task Manager. From TM you can click File, New Task and Browse and look in c:\windows\system32 to see if it is there or not. I would say not. If the error pops up again while you are browsing, click past it.

If that is the only thing missing, you can get one from a working system of the same type as yours, copy it to a thumb drive or floppy and still using TM, browse, copy and paste it where it needs to be. I know this works because I did it, but that was the only file I messed with. From TM, you can still access your thumb or other even floppy media by browsing, copy, paste, etc all work fine. If things get worse, just go back into TM and delete the file to get back to where you were in the first place.

I could not run IE, Firefox or Chrome to get on the Internet to even try to download the file if I wanted to since Explorer is not running and I did not find normaliz.dll anywhere else on my system. You can't easily do much else if normaliz.dll is missing, but you can do a lot with just TM.

If some IE8 was part of your update, you may have to uninstall the IE to get back to IE7 or even IE6.

Edited by joseibarra, 05 November 2009 - 10:23 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Tinaaar

Tinaaar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

I deleted normaliz.dll and got the same error and no desktop, etc, since explorer.exe is not running either (and will not start without normaliz.dll)

It should be in the c:\windows\system32 folder and is not a Windows Protected File so don't waste your time (unless you want to) with a sfc /scannow if that comes up later. It will not fix this.

I believe it is somehow connected to Internet Explorer installation since it is part of the IE7 uninstall process on my system. If you did a bunch of updates, you may have also gotten IE8 (I am still using IE7) so maybe something went wrong there.

When you see the error, you can click past it and eventually get to your desktop background image where you can press CTRL-ALT-DEL to launch Task Manager. From TM you can click File, New Task and Browse and look in c:\windows\system32 to see if it is there or not. I would say not. If the error pops up again while you are browsing, click past it.

If that is the only thing missing, you can get one from a working system of the same type as yours, copy it to a thumb drive or floppy and still using TM, browse, copy and paste it where it needs to be. I know this works because I did it, but that was the only file I messed with. From TM, you can still access your thumb or other even floppy media by browsing, copy, paste, etc all work fine. If things get worse, just go back into TM and delete the file to get back to where you were in the first place.

I could not run IE, Firefox or Chrome to get on the Internet to even try to download the file if I wanted to since Explorer is not running and I did not find normaliz.dll anywhere else on my system. You can't easily do much else if normaliz.dll is missing, but you can do a lot with just TM.

If some IE8 was part of your update, you may have to uninstall the IE to get back to IE7 or even IE6.

OMG!!!! I would just like to personally thank you a millions! My computer now works fine after ages trying to find a cure all i needed to do was get a copy of that file and replace it how easy! :thumbsup: Thanks sooo much :flowers:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hi Tinaaar :thumbsup: to BC :flowers:

I'm Glad this topic helped you solve the problem you were having and thank you for posting and thanking us. :trumpet:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users