Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting from different HDD's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

I'm first posting here because it is mainly a Ubuntu question.

I'm going to be purchasing a new HDD for my comp so that I can have a dedicated Win (7/Vista/XP) and a dedicated Ubuntu drive. The new HDD (for Win) is nothing intensive, a relatively small (160 GB) at 7200 RPM. I'm just too cheap to get a SSD or a 10000 RPM drive :thumbsup:. I'm mainly using the Win HDD for games, iTunes (because it seems syncing in Linux requires jailbreak), and Adobe CS4. Ubuntu HDD- everything else, including movie and music playback, surfing, and all document storage.

Will GRUB be able to boot from this new HDD, and if so how will I be able to add it (automaticaly or "sudo gedit /etc...")

Or will I have to edit the BIOS to access the new HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

Have a look at this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How_to_du...tely_on_two_HDs

If you plan on quad-booting, make sure you first install all the Windows OSes in order of release (XP first, then Vista, then Win 7), then install Ubuntu afterwards.

EDIT: The link above uses GRUB Legacy, not the new GRUB2, so the commands to troubleshoot any issues will be different.

Edited by MadDawg, 04 November 2009 - 08:18 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

Certainly wouldn't be quad booting, just unsure of which OS I'll install.

Thanks for the link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users