Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 a7xfan92781

a7xfan92781

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:31 PM

I am using a Sony Vaio Laptop and recently my CD ROM has stopped working. I went into device manager and it stated that the device was working properly. When I insert a disc into the drive, I can hear the disc trying to start up, but nothing happens. I also checked to see if my drivers were up to date, and they were. I also did Windos Updates and did all of the proper installs that were needed. Is it possible that the laser is shot on the driver?

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:39 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits (or if it is a laptop, carefully wipe the laser with a soft dry cloth).
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Chip Smith

Chip Smith

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SYSTEM
* CurrentControlSet
* Control
* Class
* {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
* LowerFilters.bak

5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot your computer

8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

**Warning, this requires editing your registry. Caution is required!**

Modifying the registry can be dangerous (and can render your system unbootable) so it's advisable that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry

1. Go Here and download ERUNT
(ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
2. Install ERUNT by following the prompts
(use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
3. Start ERUNT
(either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
4. Choose a location for the backup
(the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
5. Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
6. Press OK
7. Press YES to create the folder.

Registry Modifications

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

#4 a7xfan92781

a7xfan92781
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

Thanks guys. I tried all of the above and it is still not working. I did the regedit, the uninstall, and the fix it option. I have no clue what is wrong with the darn thing. GRRRRR!!!!! :thumbsup:

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

Some laptops allow you to eject the whole CD drive. If your laptop can do this eject the drive. Blow out the port so ensure there is no dust in there and then reinstall it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 a7xfan92781

a7xfan92781
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:38 AM

Unfortunately I can't remove my entire drive to clean it out.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:50 AM

Have you tried different CDs in the drive?

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users