Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a LAPTOP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 desiboy5291

desiboy5291

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

SO pretty much I am going back to school and I need a knew laptop. Right now I have a Toshiba Satelite M105-s3004. I have always favored Toshibas and HPs. So I am pretty much looking for a laptop with....
1. Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2. At least 250gb of HDD space
3. More than 3 hours of battery life
4. 5.5 lbs at max
5. Windows 7
6. 4GB of RAM

I have been looking at alot of laptops at Bestbuy because I work there. My price range is from about 500 to 800. I really only want to spend about 750 max but if something pops out at me I'm willing to spend an extra 50 bucks haha.

I am really digging the HP DV4-1555dx
(http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor+-+Espresso+Black/9556321.p?id=1218123846694&skuId=9556321)
You can look at the Specs on the site. But for $750 it seems like a great deal. I was just curious about the built in broadband card. What does it do for me because I am NOT going to be using it with my cellular service provider. Is there any disadvantage of having the broadband card built in? Is there an HP laptop with the same Specs but without the broadband card? Would it make it cheaper without the broadband card, basically am I paying more for it to be built in?

that is basically the laptop I have narrowed it down to because it has windows 7, intel core 2 duo, lightweight, long battery life, and 4GB of RAM.
Any suggestions for another laptop?
Sony Vaio?
Any Toshiba or Sony Vaios laptops that could compete with this HP?

Thanks for the help! I really look forward to what you guys think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

I have an HP fingerprint reader and thought I would never use it and use it everyday. You may need the broadband card one day if you are in a remote location and you have the same computer. You can always sell it on ebay too. Just get what you want and if it has extra stuff that's good. My cousin got a laptop with a tv tuner and recording and he said he didn't need it and doesn't use it but the computer still is cool and works really well and if he wants to he can. My mom has bluetooth on hers and doesn't even know what it is.

My point is when you are looking at a computer in that price range a lot of them have bells and whistles now. It's not a bad thing.

#3 desiboy5291

desiboy5291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

I have an HP fingerprint reader and thought I would never use it and use it everyday. You may need the broadband card one day if you are in a remote location and you have the same computer. You can always sell it on ebay too. Just get what you want and if it has extra stuff that's good. My cousin got a laptop with a tv tuner and recording and he said he didn't need it and doesn't use it but the computer still is cool and works really well and if he wants to he can. My mom has bluetooth on hers and doesn't even know what it is.

My point is when you are looking at a computer in that price range a lot of them have bells and whistles now. It's not a bad thing.

Yeah your right. Well I mean will having the builit in broadband card effect my computers speed or price? Now I am not sure I am just looking at a bunch of different HP laptops. There is one my friend recently bought. It was the DV4-1465dx... but its not on the website or in the stores... and it is not discontinued so where did it go? haha. I was thinking maybe it was just a back to school kind of deal. But Im not sure.
what laptop do you recommend, given my needs and price range?

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

a quick search yielded the HP Pavilion dv4-1540us. It has:

* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6600
* 4GB installed memory
* 320GB hard drive
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
* LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+-R/RW with Double Layer Support
* 14.1" Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
* Built-in wireless WLAN 802.11b/g/n wirelessly connects to the Internet
* 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader
* 3 USB (3rd shared with eSATA port), 1 Expansion Port 3
* VGA, RJ-45, HDMI
* 101-key compatible & 1 Quick Launch Button
* HP Moonlight Imprint finish & HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone
* 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery; Battery life up to 4 hours
* Dimensions 13.15"(L) x 9.45"(D) x 1.34"(min H) / 1.57" (5.03lbs)
* 1 year warranty

Spend the extra money on an extended warranty and make sure to register the warranty with the card they give you.

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-dv4-154.../product_828023

My staples has it for $699 after $50 rebate. I don't work for Staples or HP, I am just going off what you said you wanted.

#5 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

You will inevitably be paying very slightly more for the mobile broadband (HSDPA) card to be built in, but only a very small fraction of the overall cost.
Only downside with it being in might be a slight power draw, and possibly a second or two on boot time if it is starting a driver or whatever - best bet would be to disable it in the BIOS to avoid these possibilities.

The specs you are looking for seem pretty realistic. I would add a couple of things:
4GB RAM will do you no real good unless you get Windows 64 bit edition, if you go with 32 bit you might almost as well have 3GB, but the saving might be short-sighted if there is a possibility of upgrade in the future.

Consider your screen carefully. If you will mainly be using this as a laptop while out and about and need to rely on the built-in screen, I would suggest getting something fairly large - 15" or more at least.
If however you have the budget for an external monitor (or have an existing screen), you could compromise on the screen size a little to reduce weight and possibly improve battery performance. This might mean it is a little more cramped when using it in mobile mode, but you have the benefit of two monitors when back at base.

5.5 lbs sounds fine in the abstract, but you might be surprised how that weighs you down when carrying it all day, and you might have to carry power adaptor as well. Try putting 3 bags of sugar in your bag for a few days and see how it feels (or equivalent dead weight - 6 tins of tomatoes or baked beans is not far off)
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#6 desiboy5291

desiboy5291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

That one from staples looks like exactly what I want but I also looked at some reviews on it and I ve found that it has a very low res screen... But i am seriously considering buying that laptop. can anyone tell me for a fact if a built in broadband card has any draw backs if you are not using it at all? such as does it use power? reboot time?... Do you guys know for a fact?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users