Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Computer Runs Slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chi1ddd

chi1ddd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hello,

My computer runs painfully slow. It takes awhile to open programs or even folders. It takes 10 seconds or so to even show the folders/programs listed in the start menu. Upon clicking on Internet Explorer, it takes time to open that as well. Web site pages go very slow. Minimizing windows are slow or it will freeze or leave the screen image on the computer for a while. If I drag a window, it will leave a residual trail of the window.

Open and closing programs and browsing the web are the most fustrating because they are very slow.

I have installed and run a complete scan using MBAM, Adaware and AVG Free AntiVirus. I also defraggred the drive numerous times and also uninstalled all programs that I don't use. I deleted old video and audio files on the hard drive. I ran a chkdsk to search for errors. I cleaned the drive using the cleanmgr functin in Windows.

What should I check next?

Dell Dimension DIM 4550
Pentium 4 2.00 Ghz
1.50 GB of Ram
Windows XP Home Edition SP3
60GB of 120 GB hard drive has been used

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

Tell us the steps you took to run chkdsk.

Running chkdsk in read-only mode...accomplishes nothing. Did you use the chkdsk /r command?

Did you have adequate protection installed...before your system began to slow down?

Is the system current with critical updates?

When did you first notice problems with your system?

Louis

#3 chi1ddd

chi1ddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

I ran chkdsk from the start\run command in windows. I am not sure of any other way to do this. I did not do anything with a chkdsk/r command.

I have always had McAfee anti-virus installed on the PC. It was a network version issued by my company that never expired so it always updated. The company wanted everyone to install it on their home PC because they know that files transfer between work and home.

The system is updated via the Microsoft Update site with all critical updates(most of the optional updates) as well.

I noticed that the system started to slow down 2 years ago so I got a new one. I just never jumped into trying to figure it out because it was no longer the main computer. I really didn't know where to turn. I got more RAM a year ago and I thought it would speed up and it did not.

This is computer #2 for our home and it is suppose to be for the children. However, they don't want to even use it because it is so slow. So, they use mine and I kick them out the office and they complain. So, I committed to finding out why the computer is so slow and fixing it so they can use it for basic functions like Word Processing and Internet Browsing.

chi1ddd

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

Try running the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (exactly as I have it) and hit Enter or OK. Screen will open, ultimately asking if you want the command to run at the next boot. Type Y and hit either Enter or OK. Reboot the system and the command will run before the system boots into XP.

When the command has fully executed, the system will boot into XP.

FWIW: If you just type "chkdsk: from the Start/Run panel...all that happens is a read-only mode of chkdsk, with nothing repaired.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#5 chi1ddd

chi1ddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Completed the chkdsk /r

It went through the entire checkdisk after the computer restarted. Computer seems slightly faster but still slow.(Might be in my mind that it is quicker).

What else should I check for? I did notice that pest patrol is installed and that program has adware. I am researching on how to remove that. I don't see where a program will do it. It is a bunch of manual removals out there.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Basically...you need to remove anything from the system...that isn't useful and is just taking up system resources.

Louis

#7 LarsonPC

LarsonPC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:10 AM

One thing I noticed is your CPU, the Pentium 4 is a little slow, if you want to get an upgrade, you can get a dual core.
Here are some steps to clear up space on your PC to make it run a little faster.

-Download, install and run CCleaner (www.CCleaner.com). This cleans all the temporary files off your computer that you never use or ever see. This will dramatically increase system performance.
-Defraggler (www.Defraggler.com) is just like the standard Windows Disk Defragmenter, just loads faster. This will help your computer find files faster.

Those are the basics of what you need to do to keep a clean and fast system. There are also some registry tweaks that you could do, but do that at your own risk.
Please PM me if you want to try to registry fixes. It's pretty easy just changing some numbers so the lag where you click and something comes up is reduced, just
stuff like that.

Hope that helped.

Edited by Larson Custom PC, 05 November 2009 - 01:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users