Ok, so I'm working on a PC for a customer and I've hit a proverbial brick wall. I've Googled to my heart's content with no luck. Basically what is happening is IE8 is not properly functioning in that many pages just don't 'load' (I see "Done" in the bottom left corner, all webpage loading appears to have stopped and all I get is a blank page) and also links within a webpage don't work, when clicking and right clicking.
All of this occurred after she inadvertently installed a rogue bogus security suite. McAfee didn't stop it and she called their tech-support for help....two hours and $90 later, she had no anti-virus active on her PC, and 90% of the rogue security suite uninstalled.
I've followed all sorts of different procedures, all to no-avail:
- Reset IE8 deafaults
- Clear browser files
- Reset Security permissions
- Cleared SSL state (suggested because hotmail is a page that doesn't load)
- Re-registered softpub.dll
- Run Hijackthis, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Ad-aware, AVG, Unhackme, Rootkit Revealer, and CCleaner -- removed approx 800 infections (mainly tracking cookies and the sorts)
- Complete removal, via removal tool, of McAfee
- Ran browser in no-addin mode
- Tried browsing in Safe-mode
I think telling my customer to switch to a different browser seems like a half-a$$ed solution, although I am recommending switching to Firefox. I'd just like to fix this for her, so it works how she wants it to work.