Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with adaware (personal) updates

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 masono

masono

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:01 AM

Hi there, :thumbsup: I have on my system windows xp pro service pack 2. To protect it from virus etc. I have sygate firewall, spybot, spyguard stinger, spy sweeper , microsoft antispyware, spyware guard avg, and ad aware personal. What i would like to know if u can advise me is this. Should i have turned off the firewall when i downloaded the adaware and indeed all the others? The reason i ask is that everytime i run adaware i appear to be downloading the same updates? possibly the firewall would affect downloading?

Appreciate any info, thanks :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:21 AM

When installing you should have got a notice from your firewall to accept the install, same with the updates.

I never recommend shutting down the firewall while connected to the internet.

If you are having trouble installing Ad-Aware updates.
Try to uninstall then reboot & reinstall.
Another good practice is to install a new program then reboot and open the program, install the updates.

#3 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

Updates for Adaware can be installed manually. download the update (zip file), unzip the file and exract the file to C:Program Files/Lavasoft/Adaware SE

Updates can be found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ in the downloads section
Posted Image

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:52 PM

Hi to get the lavasoft ad-aware update you have to pay for it which turns it from personal to plus and from 1.5 to 1.6

Hope this helps you.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

Hi to get the lavasoft ad-aware update you have to pay for it which turns it from personal to plus and from 1.5 to 1.6

Hi..I'm sorry, but that is just wrong. All you need to do to get the latest Adaware updates is to click on the update button.

masono, depending on which version of Adaware that you are running, you might have problems. The current version is Adaware SE 1.06r1. If you don't have that edition, then updates are not going to work properly. As was already stated, you can download the update as a .zip. providing you have the most up to date version of Adaware SE.

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hi just to clear a point up when i tried the link mentioned,by groovicus it came up and i e-mailed them as well that if i wanted the update then i had to pay for it which i have just paid £40 for so, if you (groovicus) can get it for me free on the link you have given then i will refure them to you, so that they can give me my money back. they would only let me have the 1.5 without paying when i get the paperwork back i will post it on this site in big letters, so groovicus don't call me a liar or slag my post off.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

Hi just to clear a point up when i tried the link mentioned,by groovicus it came up and i e-mailed them as well that if i wanted the update then i had to pay for it which i have just paid £40 for so, if you (groovicus) can get it for me free on the link you have given then i will refure them to you, so that they can give me my money back. they would only let me have the 1.5 without paying when i get the paperwork back i will post it on this site in big letters, so groovicus don't call me a liar or slag my post off.

All you have to do when running ad-aware, in the bottom right area of the program click the update now button.

Now what i think you e-mailed them about is adaware se professional wich comes with a few extra tools and add-ons.

And to the original post, you can configure your firewall to allow access to those programs automatically.

Im not familiar with sygate firewall so im not much use on the subject.

Edited by TEB, 04 August 2005 - 02:36 PM.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:39 PM

AdAware SE Personal Build 1.06 is completly free.

All upgrades are free.
All updates are free.

On the Personal version, that is.

Welcome to our freeware and shareware Downloads page! Choose a site to download your copy of Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition, skins, help manuals, RegHance and the latest definition file from. The freeware* version of Ad-Aware is compatible with Microsoft Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003
You are only a few clicks away from your free* copy of the new Ad-Aware® SE Personal Edition.

What version do you have?
Did you get it from Lavasoft's website?

Edited by Scarlett, 04 August 2005 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image

#9 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

Hi no i asked them for personal and it came up i had to pay for it so i ended up with plus

#10 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

Well more power to ya then, plus is okay...but its not worth what is costs just for the few extra features that can be obtained by freeware anyway.

I kinda like how you can do "more things" with plus but i still use 1.06 personal........same definition updates.

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

Hi no i asked them for personal and it came up i had to pay for it so i ended up with plus

You must of clicked on the wrong thing.

Besides the topic of this thread is problem with adaware (personal) updates

Any replies regarding a paid for version, does not apply.

Edited by Scarlett, 04 August 2005 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#12 masono

masono
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:10 PM

hi to all, :thumbsup:

I will follow your advise and uninstall reboot and then reinstall i think, as i was concerned about why i was continually downloading the same files. I would have expected not to have to do that. But thanks to all who have responded, hopefully others will find your info useful also,
Its good to know your out there!!!

:flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

Hi there, :thumbsup: I have on my system windows xp pro service pack 2. To protect it from virus etc. I have sygate firewall, spybot, spyguard stinger, spy sweeper , microsoft antispyware, spyware guard avg, and ad aware personal. What i would like to know if u can advise me is this. Should i have turned off the firewall when i downloaded the adaware and indeed all the others? The reason i ask is that everytime i run adaware i appear to be downloading the same updates? possibly the firewall would affect downloading?

Appreciate any info, thanks :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

Make sure Ad Aware is enabled in your firewall settings. I am not familiar with Sygate, but there has to be a place where it keeps a log of everything it has blocked.

Look there and if Adaware or any part of Adaware was blocked, enable it to pass through the firewall.

Usually you do not shut off the firewall to download, but rather authorize the program with the firewall as it downlaods and possibly then again as it sets up.

You do have your Windows XP firewall shut off though, don't you?

Only one software firewall can be allowed to run as they will conflict with each other if more than one runs.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

By the way, AdAware recently came out with a new version. Make sure you have the latest version and the latest upgrade list.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:41 PM

Configuring Sygate is easy.
Click on the applications Icon. You will get a drop down menu listing all your applications. Find Ad-AwareSE Core application. Change the access to "allow" by clicking the box to the left of it so a little checkmark appears.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users