Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find a way to connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jjinx

jjinx

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

I was given an old Gateway laptop MA2A MX6121. I have used it before online wireless. The previous owner bought a new one and this one sat on a shelf for months. I got it and cannot figure out how to connect to the internet. I have even plugged it directly in to my router and can't figure it out. I ran a Malwarebyte scan due to a popup I was getting when I turned the computer on and found 16 viruses. The popup is gone now. I'm not sure what info I need to include. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

Did you try to attach the LAN cable from router to your laptop's ethernet RJ45 socket?
Did you see the link led (green light) glow near the ethernet socket in your laptop?

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

Updated broadcom wifi driver may help. It is possible the update might fix the LASS or other network components damaged by the malware.

http://support.gateway.com/s/NETWORK/Wirel...02495faq3.shtml

DL on another computer and wait for the admins here to review this post to see if it should be moved to the malware cleaner forums.

But until they do...

I use a simple process to separate hardware issues from software issues in this type of situation.
Download and burn the latest Ubuntu live cd. It usually detects and enables wireless connections automatically.
Detailed description here.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD#Ho...LiveCD%20Ubuntu

Also note, spybot has an advanced mode which has tools for repairing the most common types of network software damage. If it is already installed, you might let it try after a full scan.

However, you should wait for a malware expert to advise you before doing anything that will write to disk on your computer.

#4 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

Did you try to attach the LAN cable from router to your laptop's ethernet RJ45 socket?
Did you see the link led (green light) glow near the ethernet socket in your laptop?

The green light is glowing.

#5 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

Updated broadcom wifi driver may help. It is possible the update might fix the LASS or other network components damaged by the malware.

http://support.gateway.com/s/NETWORK/Wirel...02495faq3.shtml

DL on another computer and wait for the admins here to review this post to see if it should be moved to the malware cleaner forums.

But until they do...

I use a simple process to separate hardware issues from software issues in this type of situation.
Download and burn the latest Ubuntu live cd. It usually detects and enables wireless connections automatically.
Detailed description here.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD#Ho...LiveCD%20Ubuntu

Also note, spybot has an advanced mode which has tools for repairing the most common types of network software damage. If it is already installed, you might let it try after a full scan.

However, you should wait for a malware expert to advise you before doing anything that will write to disk on your computer.

I have already tried to install the driver and got an error. I just checked to make sure your post was the same one and it is.

So I shouldn't try the live cd yet?

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

well the live cd will not change anything on your currently installed OS but it might tell you if the hardware is working correctly. If you can get it to access your network then you can backup any needed files and attempt a nuke and reload which might be the fastest way to fix your problem. Do you have any unix experience? The current live cd is very windows like and will automount any ntfs drives it can read, but actually fixing anything might require someone with more skillz than either you or I.

If the moderators have not moved the topic by now, perhaps that is the path to take.

Do you have any attachment to the data on the computer now? Do you have reinstall media and cd-keys ready to reload? Can you locate drivers for the hardware bits?

These questions might determine what course you embark on next.

Since I deal with recovering data for computer owners who do not know the meaning of "backup" I tend to be a bit cautious in giving advice.

The sad state of current malware and worms have taught me that it is often a new install that is the fastest way to fix a system to a state where it can be trusted again.

#7 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

I don't have anything on this computer I don't want to lose but I also don't have reinstall disks.

Should I post a hijack this log in malware forum?

#8 Chip Smith

Chip Smith

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

i'd be curious if when you were plugged into the router, if your pc actually got an ip address [Start > Run > "cmd" (without quotes) > "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) -- you should get an IP address similar to 192.168.x.x or of the likes]. if so, are other pcs on the network able to browse to the internet?

if they are, maybe trying a couple of ping tests? open up the command prompt [Start > Run > "cmd" (without quotes)]...then type the following without quotes: "ping google.com"

if you get a time out error or it doesn't come back with results, try the following: "ping 74.125.45.100"

if the second on works -- pinging an IP address and not a domain name -- then you may have a winsock error that's all funky...i've seen this similar issue caused from malware infections and it's an easy fix with a special utility.

this was just a quick suggestion to narrow down the problem

#9 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

It does show an IP address. My sons laptap is connected and works just fine. Ping google.com says could not find host and ping 74.125.45.100 timed out.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

Can you tell us what the ip is? If it is in the same range as your other computer (hopefully 192.168.1.x or something similar)Then we go on with software issues.

Windows since w95 sp1 will use a default non routable ip if it does not get a response from the dhcp server (either your own in the router or the one from your isp )

Your router has dhcp and usually is able to connect more than one computer? (the ip used by your sons computer would tell us that) replace the last 3 numbers with x's for privacy)

Some older cable and dsl connections use ppoe or ppoa and only issue one IP to a single computer directly connected to the single lan port.

The usual reasons for the default ip ranges from bad cable to damaged network dll and processes sometimes left after a malware cleanup.

The cable and port light is actually not as reliable a test as you might think I have seen cables that can trigger the link light (meaning a pair, not necessarily the tx/rx pair has electrical connectivity) while not being able to pass any traffic such as request an ip from the dhcp server. Do you have another lan cable, preferably a known good cable?

You ain't out of the woods yet. Lan ports can also fail. On laptops this can be hard to fix, on desktops you just install another one to test.

Since I fix them, I have all kinds of crazy network devices to use for testing, including parallel port, usb, and firewire network cables and adapters.

For reference, here is the MS KB page on troubleshooting network issues.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

#11 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

The IPs are not the same. My sons is 192.168.1.xxx This laptop is 161.199.38.59. Other computers connect to our router on a regular basis.

I did the network diagnostics test that was on your link and everything failed-WMI Error. Under Internet Service, Default Outlook express both said not configured

Edited by jjinx, 05 November 2009 - 09:56 AM.

#12 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

well. that ip is direct assigned to America United life insurance if ARIN is to be believed and might be used internally since it does not seem to be routeable from any router I have access to.

So. You are not getting through to the dhcp server or you have a static ip set. or both.

How about you go to the start button, choose run and then type cmd in the box provided. This should open up a dos window.

Then type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and paste what it says into your reply. I realize you will be doing this on a different computer so if you amend that to:

ipconfig /all >conf.txt
It will pipe the output to a text file you can transfer via usb key or other device to the current machine you are using. Then cut n paste into this reply.

WMI errors can be caused by lots of things, most of them not good. It depends on the exact language of the error though.

Perhaps it is time to try the ubuntu live cd and see if it is a buggered windows for sure.

Is there any chance the laptop was used on a corporate network? Have you tried setting it to a static ip address like 192.168.1.100 and try the ping test again? Did you try it using the same cable your sons computer is using?

#13 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

ipconfig /all >conf.txt doesn't do anything.

I have no idea if it was used on a corporate network. I don't know how to set the ip address. My sons computer is connected wirelessly. Thanks for your time and patience :thumbsup: I'm not smart about this stuff at all but I'm good at following directions.

I typed this out.

Windows ip configuration

host name............YOUR-8F420FCBC5
Primary dns suffix...
Node Type............Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled...No
WINS Proy Enabled....No

Ethernet adapter local area connection

Connection-specific DNS suffix..
Description.....................Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethetnet controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Physical Address................00-E0-B8-9A-B0-33
Dhcp Enabled....................No
IP Address......................161.199.38.59
Subnet mask.....................255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.................161.191.38.1

Edited by jjinx, 05 November 2009 - 11:25 AM.

#14 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:10 AM

This laptop is 161.199.38.59--->The ip url belongs to American United Life Insurance Company.

It seemed the laptop was a working computer. Sometimes, they may place the proxy server on it. Ummm, I assume you have no baddies on your system as well. :thumbsup:

Open IE, select Tools > Internet Options. Select the Connections tab.
  • If you are using LAN, click "LAN Settings" button. If you are using Dial-up or Virtual Private Network connection, select necessary connection and click "Settings" button.
  • In the "Proxy Server" area, uncheck the check mark next to Use a proxy server for ....
  • Click OK.
In Firefox, go Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings and tick 'No Proxy', then 'OK' your way out.

Close your browser and make sure the homepage is set to as it should be. Start you IE and check out how things went.

If still no joy, right click this thread to download Dial-a-fix and do as follows:
  • Open the Dial-a-Fix folder, launch the program by clicking on the blue cog-wheel icon.
  • Please click the "Policies..." button on the bottom.
  • If anything is found, make sure it's checked and then, click the "Remove" button and click the "Close" button to close that window.
  • Now click the green, double check icon (Check all) on the bottom.
  • Then click on 'GO' at the bottom.
  • Click "Exit" and restart your pc when Dial-a-Fix has done.
If you need to fix your WMI Error, make sure your have XP media disc handy. Or try to borrow one from freinds with the same OS and service pack.
  • Double-click on Dial-a-fix.exe
  • Click the hammer icon.
  • Scroll down under Tools and click Reinstall WMI/WBEM
  • Click GO
  • You will be prompted for an XP install CD.
  • When it finishes, it will say Ready. at the bottom.
  • Click Close

Edited by sundavis, 05 November 2009 - 10:57 PM.

#15 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

No baddies?

Proxy server was already unchecked.

I downloaded the dial a fix to cd and put it in the laptop, clicked on the zip file and it said that it was invalid or corrupt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users