Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook/Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ladyskeptic

ladyskeptic

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hello,

I have many questions about laptops starting with are a notebook and laptop the same thing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

A notebook and laptop are the same thing, as far as I know. A netbook is smaller and does not have an optical drive.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 ladyskeptic

ladyskeptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:13 PM

Can you tell me how else notebooks and netbooks compare to laptops? I've heard netbooks are only good for the Internet. I thought notebooks were smaller than laptops in both size and capabilities. Is that true? It's very hard to understand all the advertising if you don't know the jargon. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

What RainbowSix said...plus a netbook is generally lacking as much horsepower/flexibility as one might find in a notebook/laptop.

Netbooks are designed for limited activity, made for users who only want to do certain things.

More than you ever wanted to know at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

Louis

#5 windowstech

windowstech

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

Netbooks are designed for Internet and email usage only and possibly light word processing etc. Notebooks or laptops can do everything a desktop can do.
Windows Tech
MCSE

#6 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hey there,

As far I understand, A Notebook and a Laptop are pretty much the same thing. A Laptop (by the seller's viewpoint anyways) would be anything that tends to be over 1500, and probley has some niffy parts into them such as Mini-PCIE video card.

Notebooks are cheaper, yet almost clones of a Laptops, they simply meant as Word prosessing or simple media files. This tend to be around the 750-1250 mark for price range. They still have massive hard drives like 300-400G yet not as powerful as Laptops.

Netbooks are mini notebooks, from 350-650. Netbooks are genereally the same as notebook with the side track that they do not offer alot of space.

These are, by no means, a standard. Stores will use other buzzword and I am using the ones only present to me from Bestbuy in Montreal,Quebec. If your looking for something to play Videogames, go with a Laptop. If your want something to check your e-mail on the go? Netbook.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

I've always thought of a notebook as being smaller than a laptop. You can get a small screen or go up to something that's really too large to balance on your lap. Netbooks can be anything from a teensy eeepc 7" screen with a 2gig SSD drive to a full-blown 11.6" screen with a 250 gig drive. The big difference in netbooks besides the small screen is that they have no optical drives. They do have several USB ports and a portable optical drive could be added.

A good laptop/notebook is one that has sufficient processor and memory - no celerons - better to have duo-core or something like that that runs cool. For Vista, I'd want about three gigs of RAM if you can get it. Screen size is whatever you like, but like I said, they can be pretty hard to handle if they're too large, unless you want to use it on a desk or table all the time.

We've got a big Gateway in house that's like that.

The cheap Dells tend to have about a one-year life. You're lucky if the power adapter goes that long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users