Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First post - some info on Spy Guard malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lvgonadream

Lvgonadream

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

Good morning - just an introduction, I've been running computers since about 1975 and use to run about 45 different word processors before the "desk top" became the most popular. So not a stranger to them, I guess you could say I've grown as they've grown.

That being said, Imagine my horror when my windows shield popped up on October 1 saying I was infected and needed to run a scan.

Okay fine. I had just downloaded something new from MS, so that must be it.

A month of a nightmare. I was infected with Spy Guard and could not get it removed. I tried everything suggested at this forum.

Spy Guard stopped everything - including renaming malwarebytes to something else.

So then I tried copying various "rescue" disks. Kasperski being one I remember. It would not let anything run.

Foolishly I had not ever backed up this computer. Something I won't neglect in the future.

I then thought to save my precious info on my computer (I use it for work at home) I would upload to an online storage site.

I started up the computer - and spy guard did appear.

Mind you this is a little over 1 month after I had first gotten the virus.

Also I had noticed in the previous month that every time I started this computer the Spy Guard seemed to get stronger, not letting me even start in safe mode, not allowing access to the task manager, regedit, etc.

As I'm uploading to the online site - I noted NO pop ups, which were constant before "this is infected" "that is infected" pop pop pop ad infinausea!

Then I noticed that my Avast ontime scanner was popping up with trojans - that had been disabled by Spy Guard during the previous month.

So I tried running malwarebytes - it worked! Spy Guard did not stop it this time.

I now am running various other cleaners to make sure it is off 100% - ran chkdsk and that fixed some stuff. Then ran tweeknow which found 6 registry errors and clean those. No running an Avast boot scan - so far nothing.

So just wanted to let you know my thoughts on this malware, that being to me it seems to have a "shelf life" of about 1 month - if you can go without your computer for that amount of time, wait it out and then try the malwarebytes, etc. again. I was fortunate enuf to have another computer to work on and wait it out.

Hope this may be helpful to someone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users