Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Runs Slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 meppwc

meppwc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:47 AM

hello

My computer runs slow. I have done all of the logical steps to insure that there are no problems with virus, adware, defragmentation, etc. The bottom line is that it take time to open folders and startup applications. Sometimes when starting an application, it freezes and I have to open task manager to stop the process and kill the application. Then, all of a sudden, it works. Note, once the applications start, they run fine with no problems. It just seems that the system is sluggish when it has to "find" things. So that leads me to believe that I may have a possible problem with the NTFS table. Is there any way to check if this is the problem? Is it possible that I simply do not have enough resources? (note, I have included specifications below).

Any advice are suggesstions are well appreciated.

My system is:
Antec 900 - 650W ATX
Intel DQ35JOE
Intel Core 2 DUO Q6600 Quad Core 4gb
2gb 800mhz DDR2 DIMM
500gb SATA 7200rpm (255GB remain available for use)
Alpha Dog gForce FX 8800 512 pci
XP Pro SP3

Edited by meppwc, 04 November 2009 - 06:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

Well...I would take a look in Event Viewer for possible clues.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

I don't see where you have done anything to check your hard drive (chkdsk /r, manufacturer's diagnostic)...until that's done, I would not be guessing that the NTFS file system is askew without some evidence pointing me in that direction.

Chkdsk /r will detect some file system problems and advise of such.

http://www.ntfs.com/quest14.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users