Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG firewall blocking file sharing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

Have been using Zonealarm for years and got sick of it. Poor tech support etc and lots of issues from time to time plus it didn't pickup a rootkit virus from f*****g up my laptop and desktop. Caused me two full hard drive wipes , reinstalls of two operating systems and days and days of reloading original software and files. Great fun.

So when my 24 month ZA license came up for renewal thought I'd go with AVG trial to see if any better and then buy it if I liked it.
Well it set up ok on my desktop and setup ok on my laptop but now can't access or share files from either computer.
When I switch off avg firewall it works. This is dumb. AVG should automatically configure for a home network not block it - how many average users would work out the firewall was blocking their network. There must be millions of users in same boat as me. Yet when I look on internet, I see many people with same problem but can't seem to find an answer. Some have contacted AVG and all were still waiting for a reply weeks later. Of course if they had their problem solved they hadn't gone back online to let the rest of the world know.

This should be so simple yet is a bloody pain. I had a look at advanced settings and tried to allow IP address range for sharing files but didn't seem to work - I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to advanced firewall settings. Not sure what to do.

I'm about to uninstall AVG and try Comodo. Does anyone know how good Comodo's anti-rootkit feature is? The manual I downloaded had one brief mention that it has this feature.
{ This system provides the very highest protection against trojans, malware and rootkits that try to use trusted software to launch an attack. }

Anyone used it before and can vouch for it's effectiveness? Firewall easy to configure?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

Try this page. Click the message I cannot access files on the PC, where the AVG Firewall is installed, from another PC in my local network The next to last step Please specify the network range and click on the OK button. you'll get that range from your router. Should be in the same area you turn DHCP on or off.

If you still wanna switch that's cool. But you might want to post in a different forum about a piece of software.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:20 AM

Thanks CaveDweller2, this worked perfectly.
Obviously I didn't look hard enough in the help files.
Have a Great Day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users