Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering Screen, Popping Sounds

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 trentwylde

trentwylde

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:53 AM

About a week ago my semi new computer started acting up. It's not a top of the line model, it's just something a friend whipped up cause my old one died and I just needed something to use to do my eBay and various other crap with.

I was watching some online video, I do so a lot, mostly just streaming video like justintv or other sports sites so I can watch games. My speakers started making this crackling or popping sound, while my monitor would flicker. I would close the window and after a few moments it would stop, but after a few minutes it would do it again while watching video. I've had this thing about 3 months and it never did anything like this.

One time I muscled through the flickering so I could finish an inning and the computer just stopped, showing a screen that read that it was dumping the physical memory and that I should restart.

I assumed it was a virus but nothing showed up, I even restored my computer to a date before the incident and still nothing changed. I'm using a monitor that isn't my own so it might be that, or maybe it's the speakers. I know very little about the workings of a computer so maybe it's the video card or something. I just don't understand why it would've happened so suddenly and without warning.

Another strange thing is that when I watch justintv through a different site, usually with a smaller screen, nothing happens, I can watch it for hours without problem.

I tried messing with the computer's refresh rate, as well as DPI setting and that did nothing.

I really have no idea what else to do, I'm going to switch the monitor with another and see if that works, and if it does I'll delete this post, but I'm sure nothing will change.

I'm just hoping a man smarter than myself will be able to help narrow down what kind of problem I'm having and what could be done to fix it, hopefully with a remedy that even I could take care of.

Edit----------------------

I no longer have my old monitor so any chance of that fixing it is out the window. Anyone know any cool computer tricks to fix this for me?

Edited by trentwylde, 04 November 2009 - 01:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users