Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen of death?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 St_Anger

St_Anger

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:41 AM

Hi, erm, i was just sitting at my computer, playing guitar, not really doing much on my computer, and all of a sudden this blue screen came up saying alot of stuff, and i was just wondering, what caused this to happen? And am i supposed to do something about this? Thanks, and i sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:07 AM

Run your Virus Scanner and Spyware Scanner to check for Viruses or Spyware. Then if all comes back clean, I would do a System File Checker Scan. The System File Checker Scan is a utility from Microsoft that scans the critical system files on your computer and checks to make sure that those files are intact and in their original version (as they should be)... if they are not in their original version, then it will replace them with the proper file.

You should already have System File Checker on your Computer (it is a standard XP utility)

To run System File Checker you will need your Windows Installation disk, then you

Click START then RUN

Then Type sfc /scannow

Hope that helps!
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:07 AM

Start
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenace
System
Advanced tab
Startup and Recovery - Settings
Ensure Automatically Restart is unticked

If your PC is giving a BSOD before it reboots this will make sure you have enough time to write down the error string.

It will look something like this:
0x00000000 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Search google for the 0x00000000 before the brackets, this will most likely take you to the MS knowledge base. This should give you a clue as to what is causing the problem.

Start
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenace
Admin Tools
Event Viewer
System

Highlight a error then click properties, then click on the link below For more information, see Help and Support Center as this may give you information on how to solve the error.

#4 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

Hi, i ran sfc /scannow waited for it to finish, the window just dissapeard, so i assumed it had finished, i then rebooted, and not much is different, except that its taken me approximately 19 reboots to finally get online.

My usual username is crashing basically everytime i log on, so i have had to create a new account and use that until things look as if my comp will not die, log off and then log on to my usual username. Everything is running really quite slow, and i have to leave big spaces of time between doing anything otherwise my computer will just crash, and NOTHING will respond, not even Task Manager. I tried to run Spysweeper which i recently downloaded, but that froze, and it looks as though any attempt to make any kind of scan is going to crash and not finish, however i will try an online scan as i dont think Norton is actually doing anything.

#5 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:09 PM

Hey St. Anger. At this Point, since you are experiencing so many problems, I would do a repair install of windows.

Boot from your xp Cd and when you get to the blue screen hit Enter to install windows, then hit F8 when it prompts you to agree, Then Hit R To REPAIR Windows.

Repairing windows, will not remove any programs or files. But you will have to reinstall windows updates. I would do this before anything else goes wrong....

#6 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:25 PM

Looks like a good idea. Unfortunately, out of all the information and CDs that we have kept from day of purchase of this computer, the only CDs that came with it are: Drivers and Utilities ('For reinstalling V.92/56K Telephony Data/Fax Modem Software for Microsoft Windows' and 'ResourceCD for Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics, Utilities and System Documentation') and Applications (Eurotools CD For Reinstalling Dell-Installed Software'. Nothing seems to be dedicated just to Windows XP.

Would i be able to get hold of one from Dell?

#7 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:32 PM

Hmm...

One of those has to have the operating system on it (some companies practice this sort of masking/hiding of the Operating System...it is a very bad marketing technique to force you to "need" them) .

I would be suprised if one of those disks didn't have the Operating Systems on it.....

Try to boot with either disk, to see if it gives you the option to install windows...hopefully you can get to the 'Blue Screen' where it asks you if you want to install or Go To Recovery Console...on this option Choose INSTALL by hitting Enter. Then hit F8 to agree with the Licensing, then at the next blue screen hit R to repair your current windows installation.

#8 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:39 PM

ok, i just want to confirm that none of my files will be lost by doing this, providing that the OS is on one of these CDs, so that i can actually do this.

#9 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

sorry, success! After more digging i have found the operating system CD, thankyou.

#10 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The repair will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings

#11 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hi again, i just wanted to run some scans to clear out any unwanted crap before i went ahead with re-installing WinXP, and Spybot had found something called 'WindowsFirewallOverride' or something like that, it was a registry key, so decided not to delete it. Should i? or is this something that the re-installation process will correct anyway, however windows firewall did come with SP2 and you said updates may be lost, so, do i leave it?

#12 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:23 AM

I believe that, the WindowsFirewallOveride is ok it means that you have another Firewall installed (I checked my registry and sure enough it is in there....HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Security Center/ )

So leave it and go ahead with the repair install...

After you do the Repair Install just go to Windows Update and get all the updates...then I would go to Dell's Site and get all the updated drivers (I think you said you had a Dell....if not, then go to the manufacturer of your computer/motherboard).

#13 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:46 PM

OK, slight problem. I put the OS disk in, and i got an XP style window asking me if wanted to:

Install Windows

Install Windows Components

Something irrelavant here

Something else irrelavent here

I was looking in the book thing that came with this bleeping computer and it says that i have to put the disk in, restart and hit F12 as soon as the Dell logo comes up, should i do that? Or click on 'Install Windows' (which i did but it said that files etc. would not be recovered :thumbsup: )

I also got another blue screen, heres the general jist of it.

Problem has been detected and Windows had to sut down.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

IF this is the first time you have seen this error, restart, if this is not the first time, check new hardware and software is installed correctly, ask System Administrator for updates.

If problem continues disable or remove any new software or hardware. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Tech info:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE2FB4198, 0x0000000, 0x8058BC1A, 0x000000001)

lol, i dont know if that helps.

Edited by St_Anger, 05 August 2005 - 03:55 PM.

#14 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:29 PM

HI this is what the error message you got means.

STOP 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.
A hardware driver or system service requested data that was not in memory, causing an exception error. The cause may be defective physical memory or incompatible software, especially remote control ans antivirus programs. If the error occurrs immediately after installing a device driver or application, try to use Safe Mode to remove the driver or uninstall the program.

Hope this helps you.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#15 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:01 AM

I tried to re-install windows.

Put the disk in...and as it had no option to 'Re-Install' i took the Dell approach (possibly a bad idea). I left the CD in, turned the computer off. Restarted, hit F12 as soon as the Dell logo came up, selected boot from IDE Cd-drive or something (like it said in the dell book thing), it did some stuff and i tapped 'R' to repair, and it took me to a black screen, asking me something that i did not have an answer for, as this part didn't appear to be in any of the steps you have given me, nor was it in the Dell book thing. Things are getting really bad now, crashes are more regular, and sorry if i reply late, as its taking me alot longer each time to actually get online, sorry.

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
Im actually coming very close to throwing this computer out of the window, its bleeped me off too much now. I would completely start from the beginning if it werent for all of my music, pictures, and some other stuff that other users hold dear. Would it be wise to make a backup of everything and consider starting again? If so, how exactly would i 'backup' everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users