Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video format problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CodyMcEntyre

CodyMcEntyre

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:39 AM

I have become a victim of my own lazyness. I never create a back up of anything, and I believe I have come to meet my demise.

I installed a program to convert .ASF files to .AVI files. After installing the program I decided I was not satisfied with it and uninstalled the program. While doing so it asked me if I would like to remove certain files that were associated with the program, and with out thinking I clicked "yes to all" soon after realising my mistake. Now any program dealing with video formats(After effects, a few file converters) gives me errors.

I am asking wether there is a way to retrieve the files. Or a way to find out what it was I deleted so I may try and get them back.

If all is to hell I may decide to reinstall windows after transferring all my data. And then I will make sure to backup everything from now on. Only problem is that I lost my windows xp install disk . . . .

p.s. I have done a lot of searching but have found no answers.

Please help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:52 AM

Have you Tried to do a System Restore? If it was a shared Dll file that you accidentally deleted, then I think System Restore will get it back...

System Restore, is located: Click Start then go to Accessories, then System Tools, then System Restore....

Try that and then post back...
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:02 AM

Oh one other thing..about trying to see what files you deleted...

Another little trick ...is to do a search (Start then click Search), then Choose "All Files and Folders" Then Click on "WHEN WAS IT MODIFIED" and select SPECIFIED DATES, and have the start and end date be set to todays date...

Next make sure to click "MORE ADVANCED OPTIONS" check mark everything. Then Click Search.

When it is done searching, on the top you should see the headers "NAME" "IN FOLDER" "SIZE" "TYPE" and "DATE MODIFIED" . click on the DATE MODIFIED Header to sort the search list by time.

Then scrolll through the approximate time of day that you remember uninstalling the program...and look for a Log File for the program that you uninstalled....typically, most programs will create a LOG file that lists all of the actions that it did (such as deleting files and registry entries deleted).

Open the Log file (if it asks you what program to use to open it, choose Notepad). To examine what files were removed...

This is a little trick that I use when I am trying to find a file that was erased with a program....

Hope that helps...

#4 CodyMcEntyre

CodyMcEntyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:40 PM

I tried a system restore before I posted with no positive results.

I tried your advice and did a search for a log file but could not find one.

If anyone else could help me it would be great. I am interviewing for a video editing job and I am going to have to have this problem resolved.

Please Help!

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

Try reinstalling the program, so that all the files will be loaded to the hard drive; you can then uninstall JUST the application itself. Hopefully this reinstallation will allow you to get to the AVI files you cannot find, as well.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 CodyMcEntyre

CodyMcEntyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:24 AM

No errors, but I still have trouble converting files.

I'll get back to you if I can not find the problem.

Edited by CodyMcEntyre, 05 August 2005 - 12:27 AM.

#7 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:48 AM

Just a side note that you may or may not be aware of...

When you install a program to convert video from one format to another, that program typically installs some kind of CODEC (Compression/Decompression).. If you have dealt with CODEC's much then you know how buggy they are. They can conflict with other CODEC's and end up giving you a terrible output quality.

This may be where your problem is (with Conflicting Codecs), cause I know I have experienced CODECs that would not uninstall (even after uninstalling the program).

Here is some excellent information on CODEC's posted on Afterdawn.com's Forum, that you may find helpful...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608

#8 CodyMcEntyre

CodyMcEntyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:19 AM

I have decided to re-install windows. I have not taken the greatest measures to keep windows in great shape, so I believe it is the best decision.

If I just had the money for a mac I don't think I would have to put up with half of the problems I do.

Thankyou guys for all your help.

:thumbsup: Cody McEntyre :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users