Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Point Name - text box is tiny!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phsyc

Phsyc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

Hi all! :flowers:

I was hoping someone might just take a look and comment on this for me. I have been 'googling' and browsed this site and can't find anything pertaining to this at all. I have a small (no pun intended) problem with the System Restore function.

Here's the lowdown:

On firing up the System Restore window, I click on the option to "Create a restore point" and click 'next.' When the window opens to give your restore point a description, the box to type in is absolutely tiny. If I were to guess the text size I'd say about 1 or 2, i.e. too small to read. Strange thing is, you can still type a name, click create and it will do so - perfectly. What do you guys think?

I've run malware/virus scanners just in case but they come up clean as a whistle. I can't see any dodgy processes running so I really don't think it's a trojan etc. Could it just be a setting in WinXP that I need to adjust to increase the text size or something? Nothing else on my system seems affected. Just as a sidenote: the only thing I have installed recently; since last using Sys Restore; is an upgrade from IE6 to IE8. Could this have interferred with it in some way?

I'd appreciate anyone's input. I'm not unduly worried at the moment as everything looks fine, but you know as well as I that looks can be deceiving! Perhaps there's a nasty I don't know about. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this post.

Regards to all,

PhsycronX. :thumbsup:

Click below to see example:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hello, I have never seen anything like this. It looks as if a file is corrupt but I am not sure.
Perhaps running System File Checker sfc /scannow may correct something.

For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Phsyc

Phsyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hi boopme. Thx very much for your interest in my problem. I tried what you suggested and did an sfc scan. It did seem to find something as it asked for my OP Sys disk but after it finished; and a reboot; the problem still exsists. Still, a very good suggestion from you and worth doing as there was obviously something amiss somewhere!

I shall keep watching my system closely for any unauthorized activity but I'm convinced it's not a 'nasty.' Seems too boring to be anything evil. Who knows? I'd love to know what's causing it though! Think I'll have another play with my Linux USB OS!

Anyhoo, thx to you and anyone else who has a read/idea/suggestion. Most appreciated.

Regards,

PhsycronX. :thumbsup:

#4 cjpdude

cjpdude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hi. I'm posting this in case someone has the same problem. When I open System Restore and choose Create a Restore Point the text box is too small to even read. While System Restore still works it is a annoyance.

For me it was because I used a OSX style theme called Tiger V or some other theme third party theme.

Simply changing the theme back to a "Windows XP" theme did the trick. :thumbsup:

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

That's a good one!

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users