Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista keeps telling me to update same file over and over again?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alexguy96

alexguy96

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

I have downloaded this file about 20 times, and yet it still tells me to update again and again.

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

Download size: 5.4 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128803

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

I've tried looking everywhere around forums, nothing works. I uninstalled the update, and installed it again. It worked for a while, but then it told me to prompt the update again. Vista 32 bit, btw.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows Update

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

#3 alexguy96

alexguy96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

So that means there is no solution??? and thats for XP btw

#4 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:24 AM

My bad.

There doesn't appear to be any clear, official workaround from Microsoft on this issue. I have read that HP printing software and/or Kodak software could be contributing to the problem.

The best "community" workaround appears to be uninstalling KB954430 (Control Panel/ Programs and Features/ View installed updates) and downloading the update directly from here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...d0-932c430abd14

then double-click to install it.

As this is a security update you could be eligible for free assistance from Microsoft Support.

Edited by CoolCatBad, 05 November 2009 - 03:29 AM.

#5 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:06 PM

Alexguy:
I have had the exact same problem with this update. I have no HP printing software or Kodak anything. I only saw it when I had downloaded it 4 times, successful each time.
CoolCatbad may contradict me, but If you'll do reading about it, you'll find like I did, that it CAN'T be uninstalled according to microsoft.[ Go to your windows" update history",find the line that lists this down load, left click on it, it turns blue, right click , and read the "details"-the last sentence. Maybe I didn't go to the right part of the computer, but I looked in the usual places and was unable. I also went to Revo uninstaller which doesn't list it. Going to my BelArc advisor scan, it lists it as "needed important" and that I don't presently have it, even with it 4 times listed in Windows Update History as successfully downloaded.
Again, some one may contradict me, but I think I would stop updating this particular one, until you hear from an experienced Bleeping moderator. If it IS being successful, you may just be filling your computer storage with this BS.
I'd like to know what to do also!
Nosmiley.

Edited by nosmiley, 13 November 2009 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users