Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help my computer wont turn on Beeps & other info

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HarrietAnne

HarrietAnne

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

On saturday my other halfs computer was turned on & running fine, I walked away & made a cuppa came back & it was a blank screen,
I tried to turn the computer back on again & it wouldnt come on compleatly only to a blue screen stating

page fault in non paged area

tried to run a chkdsk which ran to 80% then went back to 50% and wouldnt carry on running

Then tried
doing a windows install repair it went back to the boot up screen & said i should boot up in safe mode, tried to do this & the screen went black & a continuous beep,

He has tried taking out one Ram at a time & was still getting the continuous beep

He has tried taking both ram out & get three beeps which i have been led to belive indicates a ram fault, which makes sence if ive taken both out,

IFhe trys to start up the computer now all he gets is a continuous beep

Tech info
Motherboard
Asrock alive NF6P-VSTA
Running
Windows XP home edition
Ram
4G, 2x 2G

More info if needed,

Fingers crossed some one can help as this is my ohs computer & hes driving me mad without his PC lol

Harriet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

<<Then tried doing a windows install repair it went back to the boot up screen & said i should boot up in safe mode,>>

You were using a MS Genuine XP install CD, with valid license?

What was the exact message, please?

Louis

#3 HarrietAnne

HarrietAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

You were using a MS Genuine XP install CD, with valid license?

What was the exact message, please?

Louis

Its the one that came with the pc and does have a license, i have reformatted the pc once before and i had no problems with it, i cant remember the exact message but it went to the normal bootup screen where you get the options to boot up in safe mode or last good configeration

#4 HarrietAnne

HarrietAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

Oh one other thing, the initial problem was that the monitor wasnt working hence the blank screen, the monitor has now been changed, someone suggested that it could be the monitor but i have tried switching on without the monitor attached and i still get the continuous beep, i have even tried looking up Bios beeps on the net and there is no listing for one continuous beep for this motherboard, or if there is i cannt find it

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBIOS8_Ch...de_List_PUB.pdf

I'd say that 1 continuous beep is RAM.

I would remove each module...check the slot for dust/residue...blow it out with canned air...then put the RAM modules back in.

Then I would run Memtest86+ to test the RAM.

I'd also change the CMOS battery, for no particular reason other than to assure myself that it's not making my system act crazy.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

Is there an actual video card installed...or are you using onboard video chip?

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#6 HarrietAnne

HarrietAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:45 AM

Hi Louis

Right, i have removed each of the ram in turn and tried it with one of them and still gettng the beep, i have also removed both ram and when i do that i get 3 beeps (which i am told means there is a ram failure, ie no ram) i also tried to run Memtest but it wont let me run it on bootup, i have found i can now get into the Bios which is something but cant get the pc to bootup
Someone suggested doing a manual reset on the jumpers, could this help?

Oh and i am using the onboard video card

Edited by HarrietAnne, 04 November 2009 - 06:06 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

Replacing the CMOS battery...is a better alternative than merely resetting the CMOS jumpers, IMO.

If the battery needs replacing, removing it may bring momentary sanity but it won't solve the fact that the battery is weakening or erratic.

Louis

#8 HarrietAnne

HarrietAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:48 AM

Ok, i have sent the Ram to be replaced as that is still under warrenty and i can then make definitely sure thats the problem as if i fit brand new ram and i still get the same problem then it obviously wasnt that! If that doesnt work then its either the Motherboard or the Cmos, the reason i dont think its the motherboard is when i removed the Ram altogether it recognized it and made the correct error noise (3 beeps) as for the CMOS battery i can still get the Bios screen up and everything seems ok, its just when it goes to boot-up i get the error

#9 HarrietAnne

HarrietAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

Ok, i have now installed new Ram and when i switch on my pc i get the normal bios beep but instead of going into Windows about 5 seconds after the Bios beep i get the continuous beep again, i spoke to the guy who built the pc and he thinks its still a mothboard problem but i noticed you mentioned the Cmos battery, how long do these things normally last as my pc is just over a year old

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users