Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot correct operating system?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mathwiz9

mathwiz9

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

I "had" windows 7 on and then i "Shrunk my main "C" drive and created a 50GB space and formated it as ntfs with the drive letter as A. I installed windows xp home on it. and now when ever I turn on my computer it automaticly boots the A drive "XP". How do i get it to boot from the C drive?

I can still acces he files on the C drive bt like i said i can't boot from it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

I think you need to eliminate the Vista bootloader, which took over with the install of Windows 7.

Since you only changed the size of that partition, rather than deleting it...it's still recognized by the Vista bootloader (installed with Windows 7) as the default bootable partition.

I used Easy BCD to get rid of mine when I removed the Win7 beta from my system, using the Add/Remove Entries button.

The Vista bootloader supercedes the XP bootloader when Windows 7 is installed on a system.

Louis

#3 mathwiz9

mathwiz9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

So use Easy BCD to remove the vista bootloader [(by the way when i said "Had" i ment it is still instaled on the drive) just in case]

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:32 AM

Then...I don't understand :thumbsup:.

If you have XP and Windows 7 installed on the same system...the Vista/Win 7 bootloader still prevails. But it should reflect both the Win 7 install and the XP install as boot options when the system first boots. XP is referred to as a previous Windows operating system, while Windows 7 should be the default boot option.

If your boot screen does not/did not reflect those two options...I'm lost and somewhat concerned.

A Windows operating system...should never allow any active/boot partition...to be designated as A:, as I understand it.

Just how did you go about making these changes? What software did you use to modify your original Win 7 partition and "format"...and how can XP be on the same partition?

<<I "had" windows 7 on and then i "Shrunk my main "C" drive and created a 50GB space and formated it as ntfs with the drive letter as A. I installed windows xp home on it.>>

Not possible to have XP and Windows 7 on the same partition.

Perhaps I just don't understand what you did and what is.

Louis

#5 mathwiz9

mathwiz9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

well the good thing is that i am back on windows 7

When I shrunk my C: drive it changed the size of the C: drive and made a new space. Then I formatted the space as NTFS and made the letter A: but how do I get it to load xp or do i need to run BCD again and remove the vista boot loader and then reboot or can i change something so it asked my on start up?

Picture of "My Computer" screen
Attached File  My_Computer.jpg   167.39KB   11 downloads

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

If you want XP to be the default O/S your system boots to...all you have to do is change the default settings in Win 7.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ual-boot-setup/

The "earlier operating system" is your XP install.

Louis

#7 mathwiz9

mathwiz9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

thanks!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

Easily done, once I understood the situation...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users