Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesnt stay on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

I have a dell optiplex gx620. Lately, when I turn it on, it initially shuts down automatically just after showing the splash screen. Then when I turn it on again right away, it turns on, works properly for about 45 minutes then shuts down again.

I thought initially it might be a problem with the fan, as it is noisy, but then if it were, why would the computer turn on and stay on the second time around?

I ran malware bytes, and found 6 infections, which I removed, and rebooted. The computer then acted fine for a day or so, normally shutting down and rebooting. Yesterday, it started acting like it was earlier.

Why does it do this, and how can I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

Have you ever had the side of the case off and used a can of compressed air to clean all fans and heat sinks?

A noisy fan is not normal and usually a sign of decreased cooling performance and impending failure.

Most PCs have at least 2 of them. One located on the heat sink over the CPU = processor.
The other is normally inside the power supply and can be seen if looking at the back of the computer.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:35 AM

This one only seems to have one fan inside and it is tied in to the PSU, that is it isnt separate from it. I didnt see a fan on the processor

#4 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hi shashman,

Recently I had the same problem and was helped successfully by ThunderZ.

If you download/install HDTune Free run it a screen opens and you see the actual temperature. Clicking on the arrow on top, not the 'X', makes HDTune disappear but the temperature is shown in the taskbar on the bottom of your screen. Now you can monitor what's happening all day. Whenever you restart your computer you have to follow the same procedure or you make HDTune one of your start-up programs: Options > check Run at Start-up!!

If overheating is the problem you should follow ThunderZ's instructions and clean your computer with compressed air (not too close to the parts!!)

Good luck!!

Edited by Falu, 04 November 2009 - 07:43 AM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

Thank you Falu. :thumbsup:

@ Sashman. What is the make and model of the computer we are dealing with?

#6 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

Thunderz: Its a dell optiplex gx620.

Falu: Ive already cleaned the inside with compressed air

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Thunderz: Its a dell optiplex gx620.

Just took a look at your PC on the Dell site. These style machines are notorious for heat related problems. Not just Dells, but all models with the small compact form factor. There is very little room for air circulation and with only one fan to draw out the hot air heat is a problem.

Since it does only have the one fan, your correct that it is with the PSU, I am afraid you are probably looking at replacing the power supply. I do not think just the fan is replaceable.

#8 tmurphydoc

tmurphydoc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

I had a problem with optiplex computers a few years ago - not sure how old your model is but a while back they were using cheap capacitors that would bulge and/or explode. When they start to go bad the computer would reset itself. It would work normally and then reboot. Sometimes it would stay on for a long time and then reboot. I think the model I had was GX270 and I had to replace every one of them in my office because of this problem. Take a look at the motherboard's capacitors. Are any of the tops bulging out or leaking? Dell is aware of that problem and will replace the motherboard.

You can also figure out some problems by checking out the 4 "ABCD" lights on the back of your computer. Check out the light configuration and look it up in your manual. If you can't figure it out, call Dell. I know it's a pain but sometimes there are known issues with certain models that they can help you with.
:thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

#9 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thunderz:

Thats what I thought. Its the first time Ive ever had a computer where the fan is tied in with the PSU. Crap!! Oh well, I guess Ill see if those %&*%*^% people at dell will help me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users