Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with video codecs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geno93n0

geno93n0

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

I'm running XP, and a few days ago I downloaded a video codec that totally screwed with my system.

I did a repair install and my computer is working fine again, but when I try to watch videos, I get either only sound, or in the case of Zoom Player, a screen that looks like TV static. I'm pretty sure it's that codec's fault.

Attached is a picture of what the screen looks like after trying to view a video with Zoom Player, then closing the player. The screen damage is fixed with a reboot, but I'd really like to watch my videos again...

So is there any way I can check which are my most recently installed video codecs? And is it safe to delete it?

Or alternatively I'd like to know if I can just remove all of my codecs and use CCCP to put them all back again. Can anybody help with this?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

I don't know about removing codecs...I would just install the latest approved kLite codec pack and use WMP to view/play.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...ec&aqi=g-s1

Louis

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Two many codecs (packs) can cause conflicts. I would un-install any previously installed then do a Louis suggests.

Edited by ThunderZ, 03 November 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#4 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

Take a look at this, how do I fix it? That address is way, way off.

Attached Files

• Attached File  eh.JPG   73.6KB   10 downloads

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

Not familiar with the program you used to find that. Did you actually go to address shown to verify that the folder actually exists?

What codec pack did you install?

#6 LarsonPC

LarsonPC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:21 AM

You can try a System Restore to the time before you installed the codec.

Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore.
Try that and remove all other codecs and do the CCCP and see how that helps anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users