Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Hangs on Startup?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Explicit1

Explicit1

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

Not sure what to make of this...
I am getting a SYSTEM EVENT that shows EVENT ID 10016 {A4199E55-EBB9-49E5-AF1A-7A5408B2E206} not working correctly. After researching this it is the Intel Wireless Adapter and that would explain why I am having issues. I have unistalled the adapter(driver) and reinstalled twice. Still the same problem. I have ran all utilities in regards to Malware / Virus and everything is clean. This all happened once I updated windows with the critical updates that were released on 10-13-09. I have uninstalled each update and still the same problem. I have also looked in the DCOM Services to find the {A4199E55-EBB9-49E5-AF1A-7A5408B2E206} and it is not even listed? When I use the find option in regedit it is tied to regserv.exe and that is in the Dcom list. I checked to see if it was set to default and everything apppears to be configured correctly. Any help or suggestions on this will be helpful. Also when it hangs.... right before it enables I get a pop up balloon in the system tray saying that firewall is down and computer may be at risk and it is only there for 1 second and then goes away and then the interent is up and running perfectly. Not sure what to make of this and again any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Explicit1

Explicit1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

Forgot to mention I am running XP Professional SP3

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

Well...I can't tell you anything you haven't already found out...there is a fair amount of documentation on this and it all points to the Intel software...with no one asserting a solution, other than to ignore it.

But I would be concerned about the firewall failure thing...what firewall are you using?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 Explicit1

Explicit1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

I am running the Default windows firewall on a Dell Studio 1537 Laptop. I also noticed today that when I tried to access my directory thru MY COMPUTER that I could not until the internet was up. It is like the entire system hangs until the adapter is on. I am going to try and disable the Intel and reboot and see how long it takes. Perhaps I can use a generic driver to get around this. The strange part is I never had a problem until the critical updates on 10-13-09?

Thanks for the reply...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

There could be a problem with the firewall, I'd try a 3d-party firewall for a short time and see if the problem continues.

There should not be Internet access permitted when the firewall is not working properly, IMO.

Louis

#6 Explicit1

Explicit1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

Hello and thanks for the replies...

I have completed a firewall reset and still the same problems. I am not too sure where to look for the computer hanging like this? This computer in the past would boot/load very fast and I could get online immediatley etc. In this case I boot the machine and I opened outlook and I could download and send mail as the internet was working....however trying to open Interent Explorer it will just hang with no response until about 2 minutes and right before the interent comes up I get the firewall balloon for a split second that says may be at risk. I seems that maybe this is a service issue? I rebooted again and went right to the Firewall to see if it would respond and when clicking during boot up it says ... unidentified problem windows cannot display windows firewall settings?

I again did the firewall reset and still the same issue...

Any ideas based off this new information...or do you still think I should use 3rd party like zonealarm and disable the firewall and notifications

Thanks...

Edited by Explicit1, 04 November 2009 - 01:40 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

I would not use the free version of ZA (personal bias) but I would try a 3d-party firewall (other than ZA) at least temporarily.

My experiences with ZA were not good, so I suggest something that is not as potential to be problematical.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Z...mp;oq=&aqi=

FWIW: Personal Firewall Reviews - http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm

Louis

#8 Explicit1

Explicit1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

Thanks.. I will let you know the outcome..

#9 Explicit1

Explicit1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

Still the same results....

Computer hangs for 2 minutes after desktop loads...

Thanks

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

What you call "hanging" may be normal...it takes about two minutes on my systems...for the firewall to clear everything from the time that icons begin to populate the desktop. The system isn't ready to go until then, you can check the hard disk activity light to verify.

Are there any messages generated in Event Viewer re the new firewall?

Louis

#11 Explicit1

Explicit1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the reply...

Yes the Hard drive light is blinking (being used) during the (Hanging period). The event viewer shows nothing in regards to the firewall in reference to errors. Everything looks good except for the event 10016 on the intel adapter.

I have a lot of extra data on my logical drive... Perhaps once I transfer this data the system it will respond faster on boot up? I will let you know.

#12 Explicit1

Explicit1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

I know 2 minutes is not the end of the world and the computer runs very solid with no issues once it is fully up. I just notice a huge difference in time compared to before. Thanks again for your thoughts..

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

I have occasionally timed this system from the time that the desktop starts to load...to the time that I can connect on the Internet (usually my first activity) and it's about the time period you mention. It's just the firewall not opening the system to any perceived dangers...until the firewall is properly established and in control.

The only way that I could shorten that time (if I wanted to do so) would be to eliminate startup of certain items (SUPERAntispyware, etc.) which I prefer to have running from startup.

I don't get disturbed by the time it takes to settle down XP...I'm still amazed that we even have PCs for play :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users