Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brandymtippins

brandymtippins

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hi I just found this site and I'm hoping maybe someone can help me. I turned on my computer this morning and everything was gone. I had nothing everything said empty. It's like I went to bed last night and someone completely wiped out my computer. I couldn't do anything, all of my work from this semester is gone and I need to know if I can possibly get it back. All I could do was system restore which I guess brought me back to nothing, even most of my software won't work now. All my pics, music, school work, everything is gone. I have a paper due Thursday that was almost finished if possible at all please help me find it. Thanks so much. Brandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Can you boot into safe mode?

<<...and everything was gone>>

What does that mean?

If you could boot into Windows, then everything certainly could not have been "gone".

You need to be precise and clear...and remember that none of us can see whatever you are seeing...so accurate descriptions count more than just a jumble of words.

Louis

#3 brandymtippins

brandymtippins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

Sorry, I'm just irritated that all my stuff is gone. I'm computer stupid so I will tell you the best I can. All of my programs were missing when I clicked start, it said empty. My pics, music, documents all said empty. I could't open anything on my recently used bar nor could I access the internet. All I could do was move my mouse around and click with no response. I turned the system off when I rebooted it took me to system restore or recovery I'm not sure. It ran some tests then did something else that took about 45 minutes then Windows was back I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 if that helps. Only when it came back it was like I had just bought it I had to go through all the steps and even though my programs show up under the start menu, most of them no longer work. My Microsoft Office is gone I guess I'll have to re-install everything. I was just wondering if there is anyway possible that maybe all my work from this semester could be hiding somewhere and maybe I could find it. If that sounds stupid I'm sorry I don't know how computers work I just know how to use them for what I need. The front of the tower says Compaq SR2011WM I think I bought it Christmas of 2006 hope that's what you need.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

It sounds as if you restored/recovered the system.

In which case, your best attempt would be to use data-recovery software to try to get your data files. Program files cannot be recovered.

How many partitions are on this system? I ask because various data-recovery programs cannot recover to the same partition which they are searching.

Do you have an external drive attached?

Take a look at TestDisk - Recoveery Software - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk.

Louis

My guess would be that you have hard drive problems...but that's a very random guess.

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2009 - 05:06 PM.

#5 brandymtippins

brandymtippins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

What do you mean by how many partitions are on this system? Sorry I told you I'm computer stupid and external drive attached? I'll look at the site you suggested, but what do you mean by hard drive problems. Can I fix it or will it happen again? Thanks for your time and patience I do appreciate it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

All of your files...Windows, programs, data files...are installed on the hard drive. They are installed on a "bed" which is the file system (NTFS in your case).

Typically, problems with either the file system or the hard drive itself...may cause the system problems with reading/accessing the files used.

It's hard to generalize and say what type of problems can be caused...the symptoms/manifestations vary.

That's why there are standard diagnostic tests which can be run on a given hard drive...to see if there is a problem which adversely impacts the functioning of the system.

Taken from http://partition.radified.com/:

HARD DRIVES are like houses, because each house (hard drive) has its own rooms (partitons). Houses come in different sizes, and may contain any number of rooms (partitions). They can also be expensive, and some are built better than others.

Adding a second hard drive to your system is like buying a vacation home at the shore or the lake. It could be used to store all your digital Media, such as your MP3 collection, your lossless audio files, or photographs.

PARTITIONS are like rooms in a house, because they separate different parts of a house into distinct areas for different purposes. For example, the kitchen for cooking, bedroom for sleeping, gaming room for playing Counterstrike. Likewise, you can create a partition for all your Games, and another to store your Back-ups, etc.

FOLDERS (also called directories) are like areas sectioned off by room-dividers, because they are simple to set-up (create), and easy to remove (delete). They can be changed around without much fuss to suit your needs. But they also have limitations.

Simply put...a hard drive can contain subdivided sections of the hard drive, these areas are called partitions.

To see the partitions and the drives which are part of your system, Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter or OK.

<<Can I fix it or will it happen again?>>

At the moment, we don't know why you have your problem...as I said, my guess. To confirm/refute that premise, you need to to run a hard drive diagnostic on your system.

At this point, the best thing to do (IMO) would be to see if your data files can be recovered. I would suggest not using your system for this effort...the system of a friend (a system without problems) would be better. After that is done, then you can attempt to determine what is what.

I still need to know the manufacturer of your system...and the model. Once you tell us that, I can suggest the best way to attempt recovery of your files.

Louis

#7 brandymtippins

brandymtippins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

The front of the tower says Compaq SR2011WM I think I bought it Christmas of 2006 hope that's what you need.

I'll try what you said <<To see the partitions and the drives which are part of your system, Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter or OK.>> and let you know what happens.

Thank you

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

Apologies, I see that you had posted that info before :thumbsup:.

What I would do to attempt to recover data files...first...would be to remove the hard drive from your system...and temporatily attach it to a known good working system (anyone's) and try to move the files from your hard drive to a partition on the other system.

Once that is done, I would run a diagnostic on your hard drive...this can also be done from the other system...or it can be done from your system. The hard drive diagnostic will run via CD/DVD and is not dependent at all on the ability to boot into or run Windows.

Stop the presses :flowers:.

Following are the specs for your system, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...424&lang=en.

Your specs indicate that there is a Compaq system recovery tool built into your system. Is this what you used in your attempt to fix your system?

I don't have a Compaq...but sometimes these recovery tools conduct a backup. Take a look at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3292424. IMO, this sounds like your situation and you probably ought to attempt to follow the procedures outlined.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users