Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Vundo infection unable to run any programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Eric owen

Eric owen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

A machine I admin has been infected and I was able to get malwarebytes to run and clean up about 300+ items but now no programs will run, the only programs I can run are MS office programs.

I can't get any of the sysinternals suite to run, basically if it is a .exe file and not associated with MS office it will not run, no errors or anything.

I am unable to boot to safe mode it comes up but never brings up the log on screen it just hangs, I can reboot, and the system seems to be running great other than I can't run any programs

Running XP SP3 Professional with all the latest updates

Edited by Eric owen, 03 November 2009 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

Hi Eric, maybe we can get in this way.
Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users