Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd issue with video and new pci card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 okami2000

okami2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

Ok I am a midlevel person when it comes to computers, I can normally track down an issue but am hitting one that I just cant figure. While trying to track down a whine in my headset I basically tracked it back through a process of elimination to the sound being on the motherboard (aka boned). However, it looks like if I install a sound card it should eliminate the issue. That is where the following problem kicks in

System:
OS = XP
Video = NVidia geforce 7600 gs agp card
MB = MSI
Sound = Realtek AC97
Processor = amd athlon 64 3000+
Ram = 2 gb DDR2

Fortunately I have a spare Audigy PCI card. I plug it in and boot the system up but video fails to get to the monitor. I can hear the HDs spin up but just no signal gets to the monitor. Remove the PCI sound card and the computer boots up with video fine.

Ok sounds like a power issue right? Checked that. Used this website to get an idea of my power needs: http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyC...Language=en-us. While I have an MSI mb vs asus, I figure the difference cant be too great. With my info plugged in I come up with a power need of 400watts. My power supply is supposed to be 500watts, but it came with the case and beyond reading the label I am not sure how to be positive what it puts out.

So, I am stuck. Help. Anyone? Beuhler?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowstech

windowstech

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:06 PM

That sounds like a bad PCI card. Try another sound card. If a computer does not boot normally with a PCI card, then the card is bad.
Windows Tech
MCSE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users