Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaners

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

Hello!

I am in need of a free registry cleaner and in the midst of scouring the internet for one, instead, found 4. All four seem to be good . However I am unable to tell which is the best and therefore am left confused. Below is the list:
1. CCleaner
2. Glary Utilities 2.16.0.758
3. Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 2.5.1
4. Auslogics Registry Cleaner 1.5.12.165

I need a good one as I used Uniblue's registry booster and found 400+ errors. Alas, that infernal thing only cleans 15 of said errors and any more, the full programme must be purchased. So if any one has sound knowledge of registry cleaners, please do advise!

Thank you,
Aaron M.

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

Some where around here is a canned response on registry cleaners. As well as a link to some info on them. I`ll para-phrase.

We do not recommend the use of any registry cleaners. Many do more harm then good. Others do nothing but say they do. And basically none of them agree on what is junk and what is not.

#3 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

I've used ccleaner for a long time and have never had any problem with it what so ever

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

Here's a canned response that ThunderZ was talking about.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1469001

Edited by scff249, 03 November 2009 - 08:40 AM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

I've used ccleaner for a long time and have never had any problem with it what so ever

The use of a registry cleaner is always up to the individual. As well as which one they use. While CCleaner is respected and widely used, BC still does not recommend the use of it`s registry cleaner.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

Here's a canned response that ThunderZ was talking about.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1469001

Thanks scff249. Have`t finished my first energy drink this morning. Just did`t have the umph to look it up yet.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

I'll make it official :thumbsup:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

Hello!

Thank you all, for the response. However there are still a few questions hanging around. Hopefully someone can help me here:
1. I have read that sometimes when you install and uninstall programmes there are bits and pieces of it left around. Anybody can recommend anything to help clear that up?

2. Among the articles I have been reading, it says that over time, a computer will begin to slow down due to 'clutter' and 'junk' left around inside it. Again, what do they mean, is it a bad thing, and if so, what can I do about it?

3. Other than those stated above, the main reason I started my quest on looking for a registry cleaner was my computer was giving some trouble after a virus attack. Bookmarks that could not be imported in Firefox, Firefox would keep hanging, and internet connection problems. For the internet connection part, Im guessing it is the internet provider's fault but not sure as no news from them. But for the other problems, since a registry cleaner is not recommended, and after scanning a few times with Avira, Spyware Terminator, and Bitdefender online scanner and finding nothing, what should i use/do?

Thank you very much,
Aaron M.

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

Hello!

Thank you all, for the response. However there are still a few questions hanging around. Hopefully someone can help me here:
1. I have read that sometimes when you install and uninstall programmes there are bits and pieces of it left around. Anybody can recommend anything to help clear that up?

There are some programs that monitor system changes when programs are installed. However these only work if they are the first program installed after the OS.
The amount of bits and pieces left lying around after an uninstall actually depends on the coding of the program installed.

2. Among the articles I have been reading, it says that over time, a computer will begin to slow down due to 'clutter' and 'junk' left around inside it. Again, what do they mean, is it a bad thing, and if so, what can I do about it?

True. Not having read the exact article(s) you are referencing, but probably having read many similar articles over the years I`ll assume they are talking about mainly .tmp files. Programs such as CCleaner or CleanUp do a nice job of taking care of most of these. Another one mentioned here a lot is ATF cleaner. Some of these overlap in what they clean, also clean things the others do not.

3. Other than those stated above, the main reason I started my quest on looking for a registry cleaner was my computer was giving some trouble after a virus attack. Bookmarks that could not be imported in Firefox, Firefox would keep hanging, and internet connection problems. For the internet connection part, Im guessing it is the internet provider's fault but not sure as no news from them. But for the other problems, since a registry cleaner is not recommended, and after scanning a few times with Avira, Spyware Terminator, and Bitdefender online scanner and finding nothing, what should i use/do?

Thank you very much,
Aaron M.

Regarding Firefox. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? After the virus cleanup it is not unusual for some programs and even parts of the operating system to become corrupted beyond normal behavior. A reinstall of any misbehaving programs uo to and including a repair install of your OS may be the best option.

#10 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:24 AM

Ahh i see. So what you are saying is that things like CCleaner are okay, just as long as you dont use the registry cleaner part? Am i right?

Oh and also one more thing; What if i do have some registry errors. I did a registry scan(but no fixing) and according to what it says, I have more that 400 registry errors. Now if this is true, is this any cause for concern to me and must I do anything about it? If yes, then what do I do?

Thank you,
Aaron M.

P.S
One more thing. What if a file is corrupted or has something wrong with it besides being infected with malware. What should i do?

Edited by Arrow92, 04 November 2009 - 07:22 AM.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

Ahh i see. So what you are saying is that things like CCleaner are okay, just as long as you dont use the registry cleaner part? Am i right?

Right you are. :thumbsup:

Oh and also one more thing; What if i do have some registry errors. I did a registry scan(but no fixing) and according to what it says, I have more that 400 registry errors. Now if this is true, is this any cause for concern to me and must I do anything about it? If yes, then what do I do?

Those registry errors may or may not actually exist. They may or may not be the source of a problem. I have read several unofficial tests on registry cleaners. The tests were done pretty well. The conclusion? No two registry cleaners see the same thing(s) as errors. I am not familiar with Uniblue products, but in the case of any free to try, pay to use software I question the results that it is showing me.

I would not be concerned.

Thank you,
Aaron M.

P.S
One more thing. What if a file is corrupted or has something wrong with it besides being infected with malware. What should i do?

If it is a program file then an uninstall > reinstall of the program will hopefully take care of the problem by eliminating\over writing the damaged file. If the file belongs to the operating system then their may be a couple options. Sometimes the file can be replaced. Other times a repair install of the operating system may be needed.

#12 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

I sincerely distrust anything Uniblue is trying to sell. After downloading and using several of its products my experience has always been the same. Uniblue reports a very large number of problems, generally I see 400-700, then refuses to handle more than about a dozen unless you buy the product. My experience includes older computers which could very well have a lot of errors and brand new computers which really should have none or very few errors. Uniblue always tries to scare me with a reported large number of errors.

I just do not trust that company.

#13 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:18 AM

Totally agree with the last post.

I, and others, have tried some UniBlue products and had no end of trouble upon uninstalling them - it seems to take some of the operating system with it.

A free program which has earned a good reputation with users and techies, is RevoUninstaller. Used instead of Windows Add/Remove, it uses the program's uninstaller and then finds all stray registry entries and Program Files and removes them all. I have never heard of a problem after using this.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst...e_download.html

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users