Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD in Safe Mode, Can't boot Windows XP Normal or From Disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 magnificentbird

magnificentbird

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:42 AM

Hi.

I've been reading forums all night and have seen this problem all over the place, a lot of it happening in the last few weeks. I'm possibly thinking its a spyware problem or a virus.

So, last week I had a problem. I had gotten some spyware that deleted some dlls or something to that degree and prevented me from going into safemode. I did a system restore to a week prior, and was then able to go into safe mode and used Superantispyware and Malwarebytes to kill the spyware. I didn't have another problem until today.

Today, I was using a web-browser to watch a TV show (nfl) online, and I got a random BSOD. It gave the typical generic recommendations about adequate disk space and driver-video adapters and a code ending in Ox804FB03c. Then I rebooted expecting to go back into safe mode to try another search, but it would blue screen on a normal boot and in attempting to go into safe mode. I saw this : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OK_EQUAL.

I took out my RAM one by one to see if it was a problem : BSOD prevails.
I took out my network card and video card and a second HD. Still BSOD on safe mode and on normal boot.

I put in an XP cd to boot from disk and went into the BIOS to set it to boot from the CD first. It does boot from the CD but I never get the option to press "R" or anything like that I see recommended in most of the forums. The "Press any key to boot from cd" option comes up - I press a Key and it immediately starts cranking through a series of files that appear on the bottom. Finally, it also blue screens. I've seen a lot of people posting about these problems in the last week or so with the same exact things happening. I have a DELL Inspiron 530 if that helps.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

I found this and suspect it might be what the problem is (but could still use some help) :
http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodg...-suzuki-2009-10

Edited by magnificentbird, 03 November 2009 - 11:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:50 AM

I guess I have to ask...what's your point? I'm a little slow and I really don't understand the purpose of your post.

Are you just typing for finger exercise...or are you asking for assistance with a malware problem?

Louis

#3 magnificentbird

magnificentbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

Sorry that was a sloppy copy - paste from that file- i've adjusted it. My point is my computer won't start up - I have no idea if its malware or not - but I suspect it as someone was talking about similar symptoms due to a malware problem. I tried making Bart PE to use as a boot disk, but it failed. I am looking for any advice as to what to do. I'm stuck.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

Appreciate the clarifications, thanks :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Any error messages?

Last time system booted properly?

Can you get into safe mode or Last Known Good Configuration?

Does the system boot at all? Is there any evidence that power is getting to all components?

What is the exact content displayed when the BSOD occurs?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#5 magnificentbird

magnificentbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

System manufacturer and model? DELL Inspiron 530

Any error messages? YES : 0xf78d6528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

Last time system booted properly? : Yesterday, but the second i got the blue screen it never booted again.

Can you get into safe mode or Last Known Good Configuration? no. niether works.

Does the system boot at all? Is there any evidence that power is getting to all components? it boots and blue screens when windows trys to run.

What is the exact contents diesplayed when the BSOD occurs? IRQL_NOT_LESS_OK_EQUAL.
0xf78d6528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

Summary data, http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm:

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

These types of errors are often driver situations that prevent booting, with the user often able to access the system via safe mode (since only a minimal amount of drivers load during safe mode access).

FWIW: Removing hardware items...won't impact a troublesome hardware driver. The files are not removed by physicallly removing the hardware item, but by access to Device Manager and subsequent uninstall of the drivers.

Did Dell provide your XP CD...or is it one purchased separately from your system?

If it's a recovery/restore CD...then it won't work in the same way that a MS Genuine XP CD does. Any solution which originates with Microsoft suggesting using an XP CD...means a MS XP CD, not recovery/restore CDs.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...e.htm#wp1043338. Scroll down to Using The Operating CD.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users