Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8x/4x APG Cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dethkytwn

dethkytwn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:12 PM

Hey All,
First off, I have a Dell P4 2.0Ghz w/ 768Mb DDR Ram. The mobo is 4x AGP. I'm wanting to upgrade my vid card. I have my eye on a eVGA Geforce 6600 256Mb. On new egg it's listed as a 4x/8x. Does this mean it will work in either a 4x or an 8x AGP slot...or does it mean it it will ONLY work in an 8x slot, but can run at 4x speed?

Thanks for any insight!!!

The Guy From Detroit's Hockey Town!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:29 AM

i have a dell 4550 mobo, the AGP slot is 4x/2x. i have my eye on a GeForce FX5900. AGP 8x/4x. nVidia has clearly stated that any GeForce or Quadro cards are backwards compatible. meaning if the AGP slot is 2.0, and required is 3.0 (on the card). it will still run. but will your power supply give enough power to the card? my dell has a 250 watt PSU. most likely yours does too. keep the power supply in mind when choosing a video card.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 dethkytwn

dethkytwn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:14 AM

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Your response prompted me to look up Nvidia's website. Per their site:

"NVIDIA based graphic cards which support AGP 8x mode (Accelerated Graphics Port) follow the AGP 3.0 specification.  The AGP 3.0 specification retains backwards compatibility with older AGP 4x technology.  All NVIDIA Geforce and Quadro GPU's which support AGP 8x mode are downwards compatible with AGP 4x motherboards.  When a graphics card which operates at AGP 8x mode is installed on a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4x mode, the card will automatically switch to AGP 4x operation."

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:39 AM

no problemo :thumbsup:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users