Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from DVD / CDRW drive anymore.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VirusHunter

VirusHunter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:51 AM

If someone could help me out with this I would be most grateful.

I noticed this problem a few days ago when I was trying to boot up a Knoppix live CD, but it would not start and Windows would load instead. After looking through the BIOS the boot order is (1) Floppy, (2) Floppy, (3) Hard drive, (4) Hard drive. Both hard drive options refer to the same hard drive; I only have one hard-drive installed on my laptop.

The laptop's main optical drive is an internal DVD-RW, and I have a USB 2.0 external CD-RW. As of seven days ago, I was able to boot up from a CD with both the internal DVD-RW and external CD-RW.

I've downloaded a BIOS flash utility from my laptop manufacture's website and flashed the BIOS, but I still can't boot up with a CD like before.

Anyone have any guesses? I would image if something was wrong with the internal drive, at least the USB drive would show up. All drives are seen in Windows and I have no problem reading from CDs.

I haven't been on my computer much between last week and now. The only thing I have downloaded were some Windows updates.

Any suggestions, even if it's a shot in the dark, would be appreciated!!!

System is running:
  • Windows XP Pro
  • AMD 1800+
  • 768MB RAM
  • TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-L462A (internal)
  • IOMEGA CDRW23042EXT3-B USB Device (external)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowstech

windowstech

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

You need to make the CD drive the first or second boot device in the BIOS. If it is not an option then the BIOS does not see the CD device.
Windows Tech
MCSE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users