Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With A Quarantined Item

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:40 AM

Hello,

I have tried literally dozens of times over the last few months to print some coupons that require the use of a coupon printer to be installed on my computer. Everytime I try to do this I get the same message. The message says that I'm trying to use something that has been quarantined. When I go to my anti-virus (Webroot Anti-virus with Spy Sweeper) and look in the quarantined list, I can't find anything like this. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you,
Michele :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:53 AM

In my experience, anything that "requires" a special program to print is usually malicious. That being said, can you give us some more details?

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hi Andrew,

I thought I had used this before to print my coupons because that was what would come up for almost all of the sites for printing coupons. I'm not sure why it's not working now or how to unquarantine something. Anyway, I did a screen pic of what comes up to print coupons. I hope this helps. You said more info. would help, but I'm not sure what else to tell you. If you can give me some guidance in what you need I can see if I can find it.

Posted Image

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it. Have a great night!!

Michele :thumbsup:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 03 November 2009 - 08:19 PM.
Mod Edit: Fixed IMG tag - AA

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

If I found the same site as you did (coupons.com,) then the coupon printer you're trying to use is identified by some security programs as Adware, specifically the CouponBar PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program).

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, most reports about this program are privacy concerns. It is not classified as a malicious program. However, I thought you ought to know as much about it as possible before proceeding.

I don't use Webroot Spysweeper so I can't give specific instructions, but if you are determined to use the program then you will likely need to add this program to Webroot's list of exceptions. Refer to the help section of the program for more info.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

Quick question, what type of printer are you using to print these coupons?

You can't print to a fax machine or graphic format

I'm thinking if you are using a 3 in 1 printer it might not work
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

Garmanma,

I am using a Lexmark, and it is a 3-in-1 system. Since most people seem to have 3-in-1 systems nowadays, is there a way around this?

Andrew,

I have had the same issues with Coupons.com, but the problems that I'm referring to in this post are coupons from most sites. For example, I'm trying to print a coupon from this address:

http://ronzonihealthyharvest.newworldpasta...asta_coupon.cfm

When I click on "submit" to print the coupon I get the screen that I showed in my last reply on this thread.

Next, I get this screen:

http://i36.tinypic.com/akv8nd.jpg

Then, I click on "Install the coupon printer" and get this screen:

http://i38.tinypic.com/332sd93.jpg

Finally, when I click "run" (which I've done many times now) I get the message about the quarantine. I can't seem to take a pic of that, but I click on the link that says, "view quarantine," and I get this screen:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2vkb9ft.jpg

I see coupon bar on the list, but that's not the one that I'm trying to use, at least from the message that comes up that says I need to installs a coupon printer.

When you mentioned that it's a privacy issue, is that bad? As in, do they get my passwords, credit card numbers, etc? Also, if using this coupon printer that seems to be required for most coupons to print is not a good idea, do you know of any way around it where I can still print coupons since it seems to be most sites, not just coupons.com, that is a problem?

Thank you both for the help,
Michele

Edited by Luvkitty, 03 November 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

It seems that many of the providers of online coupons utilize the same program, which is developed and marketed by Coupons, Ltd.

From McAffee's analysis:

It is direct-marketing application that delivers coupon offers to end users ... The software communicates with coupon.com servers on each launch of Internet Explorer (to check for updates to toolbar buttons, download new coupon offers and links, etc.) No advertisement popup windows attributable to the CouponBar software were observed.

Put put it shortly, this is a bit of software that is not malicious and won't steal your credit card number, but it may track what web pages you visit, what online stores you purchase things from, etc. in order to more narrowly target their coupon and advertising offerings to your interests. This sort of data mining is frowned upon by many privacy-minded individuals and groups.

You should be able to, however, restore the file from quarantine by placing a check in the box next to its entry in the quarantine list and then clicking the Restore Selected Items button (refer to the last picture you posted)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users